Compatablility Lists for Batteries and USB Cables

david_wooster

Have a part number, like Nikon UC-E6, for a USB cable? Want to know if the same style of cable is sold by brands other than Nikon? Want to know which cameras that style fits? I happened to run across an ebay seller that seems to supply such info with each USB cable that it sells, and that seller seems to sell a good assortment. (For example, the Nikon cable mentioned is not a proprietary design, as some have said.)

Have a part number, like Sony NP-FM50, for a camera or camcorder battery? Want to know if the same model of battery is sold by camera brands other than Sony? Want to know which cameras and camcorders that style fits? I happened to run across an ebay seller that seems to supply such info with each battery that it sells, and that seller is the same seller mentioned above for cables. (There used to be an ebay seller called BatteryArc that supplied such battery info, but that seller went away.)

I am not advertising here. I'm simply informing readers that the mentioned seller's ebay name is: Centenex

For example, Nikon used battery EN-EL10 on about 17 Coolpix models. The mentioned seller sells a charger for it, and that charger's ebay listing informs us, more or less, that the mentioned Nikon battery is compatible with the following batteries: Fuji NP45, Olympus Li-42B, Pentax D-Li63, and Kodak KLIC-7006.

USB cables come with a variety of connectors, and strictly for power or power + data. You don't need a data cable for mounting a GPS in a car, just something long and tough. For a hard drive, card reader or camera (to read or control), you need a data cable.

Mist cameras take a mini-USB or micro-USB connector, both with 5 pins.

There are many 3rd party sources for NP-FM50 batteries, but their performance record is spotty. My recommendation is pay the $49 and get the real thing. It's not like you need a bushel of them. 3-5 will do. You also need a reputable supplier to avoid counterfeits, like B&H. Ask yourself, "Do I want to be in the boondocks with a dark camera?" A good cable (e.g.,,Amazon Cable Mstters) costs about $5 and works. If it doesn't work, it's always the most expensive option.