Compare dynamic randge: D700 Vs. D200

sam_ginger

Simple answer is no one knows at present. Ask again in about 4 weeks, assuming camera is released when we all think it is, end of July. I would GUESS that being a FF chip, it would have better dynamic range, but until it is in actual use, the amount it is better is anyone's guess....

If , as appears to be the case, the D700 is using the same internal image pipeline as the D3, in 14 bit per

channel NEF mode you'll have about 12 stops of real dynamic range with the D700.

My best guess withthe D200 is that the dynamic range is closer to aboput 10 stops.

Dynamoic range is the measure of the sensor (or film + developer's, or paper's) ability to record tones from

absolute black to absolute white . Actually absolute black and absolute white are easy so what we really mean by

dynamic range is how much real world detail can be seen in the areas just above absolute black and just below

absolute white. The larger the dynamic range the greater the ability to see those differences ("Difference is

detail" --Bruce Fraser). Mostly where we we see the benefits of large dynamic range is up in the ability to

record detail up in the bright highlights. The big idea is that you want to start the capture-t o-final form

(print or

web based) process with as much usable information as possible.

basically, the D700 is a D3 in a D300 body.

so it will have the same DR differences as D3 and D200.

i'd go with Ellis' estimate of a two-stop gap in real-world terms.

but if DR is all you care about, get a S5 or a Sigma DP14/DP1. if you want the total package and ultimate versatility, go with nikon.

Ooops, I didn`t made this test. I added the link -only- for illustrative purposes. I have already noticed that the page is

not signed... definitely it`s not mine. Looks like it belong to a Scottish wedding pro site. Please excuse me if it looks

the opposite.

Anyway, looking at histogram I understand it could be valid. The exposure looks to be based on highlight areas,

thought, and clearly the D200 shows its limit on shadowed areas. It can be easily understandable due to the specific

design of Fuji sensors to avoid blown highlights.

Wei, it also looks that the photographer used the same lens on both, althought the camera was slighty turned on the

second shot.