Company to Produce Contax G-to-NEX AF Lens Adapter

<p>Rumor has it that his new adapter will be available next month offering AF with full aperture metering and a MF option. In the thread on the second video, the company confirms the addition of manual focus capability.<br>

<a href="http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/two-new-videos-of-the-contax-to-nex-adapter-from-techart/">LINK</a><br>

This would be a boon for me. I love the look of my compact, beautifully made Contax G Zeiss lenses on the NEX but my current MF adapter is clumsy at best so I tend not to use them as much.</p>

<p>Joe, I hear you about the nice qualities of using older lenses with adapters on the NEX but the Contax G lenses are native auto focus lenses and the Kipon adapter I have is a kludge and not very smooth focusing. Focus peaking is the bees knees in my book but it would be swell to be able to shoot faster moving subjects.</p>

<p>Louis, I'm not denying the usefulness of AF in many situations, nor the crude feeling of even the better geared G manual adapters. I believe that the Contrast Detect AF in the NEX, or the now evolving Phase Detect system, are up to fast action yet, and adding yet another automation piece between the lens and the body does not seem to be completely positive. However, it is also a good and necessary process for someone to always be curious, build and test out every option.</p>

<p>I said "might", but I always look at near everything across the brands when not out quietly using one specimen. Needing to continue to look is my disease, and hopefully no one finds a cure. Thanks for posting news of this development.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>As much as I loved my Contax G lenses on the G2, they are somewhat disappointing on my NEX 6. I like to shoot fairly wide open (f/2-5.6) and have found edge sharpness on the 28mm and 35mm is poor. Both the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8 have far better wide open edge sharpness, and are already AF. The Contax 45mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 are well-worth using on the NEX, the only question being whether you actually need AF vs. MF. Automatic vs. manual metering is another issue to consider.</p>