Commission for school photography

<p>I have been shooting preschools and daycares for a few years, and have just been given the opportunity to be the photographer for an entire school district of 3400 kids. My main question is what is an acceptable commission for a school that size? I always gave the preschools 10% of my revenue. But I've been seeing that photographers are giving as much as 50% to these bigger schools, and that seems like a lot to me. <br>

Another question I have is, what program is best to use for matching up the kids' names with their pictures? I was looking at Express Digital Darkroom Assembly edition, but it's a little pricey. Any other recommendations?<br>

Thanks for the input, and if you have any other words of advice for me that would be great. Thanks!</p>

<p>In reply to a similar. not identical, question in another forum, I posted the following, which I hope is some help here.</p>

<p>Lifetouch, which does a huge volume of this business usually gets paid upfront at the time the kids are photographed. Teachers or PTA moms distribute photo-day info with your price sheet and and envelope several days or a week in advance and the kids bring in their envelopes on picture day. The alternate is to sell the school a package where each kid gets, for instance, 2-4x5 and 8-wallets, for a flat fee per kid. IMO you'll make more money doing it the first way.<br /><br />Schools have become accustomed to getting back a piece of the action from the photog as a fund-raiser. That's why the PTA is as cooperative as they are (or should be). If so, the per centage kickback should be on package sales and your price list should be structured to make the non-package extras most attractive. For example, 2-4x5 and 8-wallets could be one package but die-cut wallets or adding more wallets or adding 5x7 or 8x10 are non-package upsells. You don't kick back on the non-package upsells, just on the packages.<br /><br />Whether you're better off with a printed proof vs a web page probably depends on the demographics of the school and how simple it will b for you to create the web folder.<br /><br />If you're going to offer background options, that info should go home to mom-n-dad before picture day, with sample illustrations and you should insist the image choice is made by the time the kid reaches the camera, Otherwise, chaos ensues. You can make alternate backgrounds an extra $$ upsell.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

<p>PS I worked for Lifetouch's senior portrait division, Prestige Portraits, for several years. They had several price lists with the exact same packages but different retail prices. If a school wanted 5%, they got list A, if the wanted 10% they got list B and so on. The studio netted the exact same amount so the entire amount rebated to the school was covered by the variations in the retail prices.</p>

<p>You said "an entire school district." My experience is that the K-11 kids are one market and the 12th graders (plus the prom if you're smart) another entirely.</p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Another way of doing the rebate or giveback is to add a fixed amount to each package (not add-ons or up-sells) - Any where from $1.00 to $5.00 per package - the parents don't see that - they just see the "final" or "total" price.</p>

<p>Henry brings up a good point about seniors - Some school districts allow their seniors to use what ever (with-in limits) photo they want - others have a set photographer that the seniors must use - at least for their yearbook photos - still others are a hybrid - seniors have their photo taken for id purposes, but then can get their senior photos done where ever - but if they or the photographer don't send a photo in by a certain date - they use the "default" photo in the yearbook. There is still another approach that I've seen done in some smaller districts - where the school has an official photographer for seniors, but instead of the routine cookie cutter photos - the photographer actually goes through the class list and books 1 hour sessions at a local park with each senior.</p>

<p>Another question - are you providing ID cards to the students? or are you providing the images so the school can have the cards made?</p>

<p>As for software - Lifetouch has customized software and their cameras are all tethered to tablets. Express digital is pricey but I've seen it used in a lot of applications and it seems to work really well.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The school does not use ID cards, so I don't have to worry about that. And I just found out from them that they don't expect a commission either. They have asked me to provide a sample contract by tomorrow so they can bring it up at the next board meeting. I guess I'll have to tweak the preschool contract I currently use.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>You are wondering what size kickback to give to get the account?<br>

Do those who supply food for the cafeteria or those who supply office supplies give kickbacks? I bet not. Might be a good avenue for the State Attorney General - they won't do business without extorting money from you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do those who supply food for the cafeteria or those who supply office supplies give kickbacks?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. See this RFP. In particular, this is spelled out:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The TVDSB is expecting a monthly financial return from successful bidder(s) for cafeteria sales. </p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Do those who supply food for the cafeteria or those who supply office supplies give kickbacks?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's a difference between a company selling goods and services to the school district and one offering a non-essential item for sale to individual students.</p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video