colors when in Photoshop

kiradavid

hi all,

I tried to print an image in Photoshop and the printed image has very wierd colors. I tried two options "Photoshop manages colors" and "Printer manages colors". No difference. Then I tried to print the same image in XnView and the colors looks exactly same as on my monitor. So where is the problem in Photoshop?

how is this?

You have entered the topic of color management. It can be as complicated as you like. To get the best chance of print colors looking like screen colors you need a calibration tool that sets the monitor for you.

Color space is part of the discussion. If you don't want to calibrate your monitor it is going to be a lot harder. You can work in sRGB color space (a narrow color space) and do ok going from screen to print. Wider color spaces(Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RBG) give room for more accurate colors but you really have to calibrate your monitor to avoid unpleasant color surprises.

Photoshop and other programs allow you to Proof or "view" custom representations of color expected by various printer/paper combinations. Those previews help fine tune colors before printing.

It actually isn't as complicated as it sounds to get to reasonable reproducibility.

I'm guessing that XnView prints a screen shot, but that's just a guess. That would give you colors that look closer to what you see on the screen regardless of whether your color management is off.

1. the first step, as rconey said, is to calibrate your monitor. If you don't, all bets are off. I've calibrated quite a few. Some were quite close to accurate,but some were WAY off. A common problem is far too cold (bluish) a color. In my experience, rconey is too optimistic: monitors can be way off even for working in sRGB color space.

Once you have that done, you have to learn how to control color when printing. This has several steps, including:

2. installing an ICC profile that is appropriate for the combination of your specific paper and printer.

3. Telling Photoshop rather than the printer to control color.

4. Telling photoshop to use the right ICC profile. This is called "printer profile" in Photoshop. (2 and 3 care combined in Lightroom.)

5. Telling the printer firmware NOT to control color. How you do this depends on the OS and the printer. In my case, printing with a Canon printers under Windows 10, I have to go into the printer properties and turn "color matching" to "none".

There are a lot of fine points to get really good prints, but those five steps are the essential basics.

Edited by paddler4
  • Like 1