Colleges in Canada with MFA in photography

kiel_johnson

<p>I was accepted to Columbia College in Chicago for this fall, where i will be getting my BFA.<br>

I am looking for a college in my favorite Country, <strong>Canada</strong>, that offers a good <strong>MFA</strong> program along with <strong><em>very good</em></strong> facilities.<br>

So for the one i like the most (and the only one i really know about) is the <em>University of Victoria</em> in British Columbia.<br>

If anyone has any info or experience at this college i would love to here about it.<br>

Also if anyone knows of any other colleges with good MFA programs anywhere else in Canada, Montreal, Toronto, etc... i would like to hear about it.</p>

<p>Lastly i was planing on visiting UVic this summer, if all goes well, is there anything worth seeing or doing in that area that can be recomended?<br>

Sincerly,<br>

Kiel</p>

<p>I'm sure you can find something to do on the island, it is a major tourist destination, rugged coast lines, whale watching, fantastic scenery. I'm pretty sure you could fill three weeks without trying hard. :)</p>

<p>Plus you're only a ferry ride away from Olympia National Park in Washington state.</p>

<p>Why are you even worried about your MFA when you haven't even started your BFA yet? Let yourself grow and develop at Columbia. When the time comes, and you have reached the point in your artistic career where a master's degree may take you further, THEN think about it. Four years from now, things may be very different. Your work may take a certain direction, and you may want to seek out specific mentors. An MFA is a significant and in most cases expensive endeavor. It's not a "grown-up BFA." The intention is completely different, and choosing a program based just on location isn't the most intelligent way to approach it.</p>

<p>The other problem is that most MFA programs worth a damn require a statement of intent (as well as an interview) as a major part of the application process. You're going to have to be very specific, and honest, as to why you think you are a good match for that program, and vice-versa. <em>"Cuz u iz in mah favitist country an I hurd u haz gud facilitees"</em> isn't the kind of answer admissions committees are looking for, and they are very good at spotting liars and bullshitters.</p>

<p>UVic isn't a bad school...but it's not a great one either. Terrific parties, beautiful campus, lots of rabbits running around everywhere, but academically as far as I know it doesn't have the best reputation. For arts that doesn't really matter as much, as your portfolio is really going to be what counts, but you might want to take a look at what kind of work UVic art students are putting together before making a decision. Having said that, it's a terrifically fun school and in a great, friendly (and warm) part of the country.</p>

<p>Emily Carr in Vancouver's a good school, but super artsy and conceptual. If that's your thing I definitely recommend it. A lot of the students there seem to develop a similar style, so again you might want to check out what kind of work they're producing. Every year they put together a viewbook of the graduating class' work - I'm sure if you contact the school they'd send you one. Emily Carr does have excellent facilities - large colour and b&w darkrooms, lots of different equipment for students, and a pretty serious digital lab.</p>

<p>Ryerson in Toronto doesn't offer an MFA in Photography, but does have one in Documentary Studies, which (I think) can be done with either photography or film. Ryerson's one of the better photo schools in the country so I'd definitely take a look at that. Also supposed to have great facilities, though I can't say personally what they're like.</p>

<p>Concordia in Montreal has an MFA in photography. I've heard good things about the photo department, and Montreal is a fantastic city with probably the largest and most varied art scene in the country.</p>

<p>Otherwise, take a look at NSCAD in Halifax and ACAD in Calgary. Not too sure about them - Calgary isn't the best city for art, but the Halifax scene is definitely getting bigger.</p>

<p>Victoria's great in the summer, but kind of quiet. Not sure what to recommend. Definitely worth taking a day or two to visit Vancouver, which is a short ferry ride away (actually, the ferry ride is very pretty and well worth the trip by itself).</p>

<p>Good luck and hope you make it up here to the great white north.</p>