Close Up portrait lighting

miguel_proenca

Hi!

I would like to shot some close up portraits about prostitutes that I find. I

visited some sites with some interesting light.

Can you please give any advice about some setups?

Martin Schoeller?s portraits:

http://www.mediastorm.org/0002.htm

Katharina Sieverding Close Up:

http://www.ps1.org/exhibits/exhibit.php?iExhibitID=8

what light setup they used?

Tks!

The blue image at PS1 is a ringlight. Expensive and painful for the subject. The top multi-panel pice looks like a small softbox directly above the subject with heighten contrast in post production. <p>The mediastorm link is timing out. <p>Actually you can pretty much light a portrait however you like, use a tripod and timer and just get your head out of the way or simply use a telephoto lens to fill the frame... t

The mediastorm link came up for me. It also looks very ring-lightish, the way it is both contrasty and even throughout. The reflections in the eyes, however, look like two soft boxes or panel lights placed very close to either side of the camera. In one of the Close Up shots, it looked like there might have been a third such light under the camera.

I got it to load this time, and the combination of catch light and super thin DOF make me think florescent tubes bracketing the lens. Note that the white background is sufficiently close and overlit to provide blow back illumination on the sides of the heads (carefully balanced to retain shadowing from the front light). The technique makes those already strange looking people look even more alien. A. Jolie looks like she's from another planet (I mean, more than usual), as does Trump (ditto)... t