Clear sky mottling

my new power shot 610 seems to have some mottling in clear blue sky areas.

I saw a pic at a Canon demo a customer brought in made with a digi Rebel.

Someone posted a close up portrait this week or last where there pinkish

mottling on the skin areas. He said it looked like randomly applied rouge.

Are these a digital artifact, something unique to Canon, or the result of

sharpening and/or unsharp mask, or something else I do not understand?

As far as I am concerned, film is better if this is what happens.

A small example? That's about gotta be 100% isn't it? To tell you the truth I don't see anything odd in the sky (I'm at work on an uncalibrated monitor though). If you have to blow it up over 100% to see it I don't think I'd be too concerned with it.

Better then grainy skies in 4X6 prints with film. :)

Alan

Your mention of USM -- is this image out of the camera or is it post-processed?

Noise reduction might produce mottling, for example.

Post a portion of the image at magnification that shows the effect, preferrably out-of-camera and not pp'ed, and the in-camera processing settings.

--

Don E

The effect is clearly visable at work. I sent the file to myself and opened it.

At home here I can not see the problem on either the sharpened image or the original. It must must be the monitor at work as I can`t see it at home or in the attachment above I put up at work but viewed at home, but it is definately visable on the work monitor.

This will be a mystery!

<<As far as I am concerned, film is better if this is what happens.>>

I think your differences in monitors is a good example of how drawing conclusions from anecdotal evidence can be dangerous. He said/she said twice-removed is no substitue for rigerous testing. The changes that can cause problems in film photography (temperture, chemicals, improper developing, aged film, x-rays, etc etc.) have simply shifted to monitor color calibration, post-processing techniques, printing, etc.

what a coincidence... I was processing RAW files from a 20D today, and that exact pinkish skin blotch made an appearance. It happened on an image that was accidentally underexposed by about 2 stops. Perhaps the RAW converter's attempt to correct the exposure produced the artifact.

I think I can see what you're talking about, but it is subtle. Maybe jpeg artifacts, maybe the in-camera processing. Hard to say but I don't think you'd be able to see it on a print, and it looks MUCH better than irregular clumps of film dye on even a 100 speed film. If it really bothers you, select the sky and do a gaussian blur on it.

I think I can see what you're talking about, but it is subtle. Maybe jpeg artifacts, maybe the in-camera processing. Hard to say but I don't think you'd be able to see it on a print, and it looks MUCH better than irregular clumps of film dye on even a 100 speed film. If it really bothers you, select the sky and do a gaussian blur on it.