Cleaning an uncoated lens?

skinny_mcgee

Is it safe to clean an uncoated lens with kodak lens tissue and lens

cleaner? Is there something better that I should use?

This lens doesn't have any scratches on it and I don't want to be

the one to F?!**it up.

Thanks for all the great advice you guys have given so far. I really

appreciate it.

Skinny

Skinny, I generally use a cotton ball and optical cleaner. I also have used plain white, unscented facial tissue and optical cleaner and then follow up with a cotton ball. By the way, use 100% cotton -- no cotton blends.

I don't like the lens tissue. Feels to abrasive to me. Others like the microfibre cloths.

The glass on the uncoated lens can really be soft, so I understand your caution.

The best way to clean any lens, coated or uncoated is to first apply a good lens cleaning solution sparingly to the lens surface in a circular direction with a clean cotton tipped applicator. Then clean in a circular direction with a separate dry applicator prepared BEFOREHAND as follows: Firmly wrap Kodak lens cleaning tissue around a cotton tipped applicator, tear off half the tissue and wrap the other portion around the peice remaning on the applicator so the exposed fibers of both peices of the torn lens tissue are exposed a few mm ahead of the cotton tip. Repeat with another tissue over the one prepared. I usually wind up preparing at least 2 dry cleaning applicator using 2 sheets (4 halves) for each applicator because I never atempt to keep cleaning a lens with an applicator covered with a too much of dirt. The exposed fibers of the Kodak tissue have been the best and safest of any brand I've ever used over 35 years. The best lens cleaning solutions are those sold in eyeglass stores which are designed for AR coated lenses. I prefer this to alcohol because evapoation is much slower make cleaning less rushed in order to avoid premature cleaner residue on the lens.

Just to "clarify", and give you all my 2c worth:

The lens cleaning tissue that is sold in pads and packs by camera stores (Kodak and others) looks and feels quite "hard" in it's dry state, certainly feels harder that facial tissue. BUT DON'T BE FOOLED BY APPEARANCES! Facial tissue is very abrasive, and paper kitchen towel is like sandpaper! Lens tissue is composed of fibres which are non-abrasive, and which must be moistened with liquid in order to work properly. In tests conducted some years ago by the photo division of a major airforce into cleaning proceedures for aerial camera lenses, (and which I assisted in) Kodak lens tissue was found to be the least abrasive tissue availible. Micro-fibre cloth got the thumbs down because it was found to retain grit within the fibres, which could scratch a lens when next the cloth was used. Linen or cotton (washed handkerchief & surgical swabs) were a definite no-no and cotton buds and cotton wool, worst of all!

The cleaning fluid of choice was supplied by Bausch & Lombe, as supplied to opticians. It can probably be obtained through any good wholesale pharmaceutical supplier. It is NOT the fluid used for contact lenses!

The best lens cleaner is a UV filter!

Use a bulb blower to get any grit off first. Next a clean camel hair brush with a very light touch.

Once visable and invisable abrasive dirt is removed, I use an old handkerchief that was washed about 1000 times or lens tissue or a microfiber cloth.

Keep the microfiber or other cloths in a plastic bag and do not lay it down anywhere. Wash and hang to dry. These must be kept clean or they will pick up grit that will scratch.

Use distilled water unless you need solvent for a finger print.

I realise things happen, but keep a cap on it and fingers off.

Blower and light brush will maintain the glass and you will not require scrubbing with anything unless there is a woops.

You are right about how soft it is. I am restoring a 50 3.5 now and had to remove a whole bunch of polishing marks from the front. I used the polishing materials a metalurgist gave me for polishing samples. I use one micron and then .3 micron abrasive. The lens went back on the enlarger and there was no change and resolves as much as others I have. I did not take the element out. I would have not attempted this except there is only a few dollars in the lens and Focal Point said they could not manage a glass that small. It is out for internal cleaning now.

"I used the polishing materials a metalurgist gave me for polishing samples"

No! No! No!

If you must polish a lens surface, to remove stains, fungus, etc use Pond's Cold Cream. It's what professional service centres use - I got the tip from an Olympus technician in Japan. Apply with your fingertip - yes - fingertip, not a cloth. Rub in small circles. Have patience. NEVER use an abraisive polishing compound such as 1mu jewellers rouge, it is beachsand by comparison!!

While Ponds cold cream is great for piles and other soft focus effects, I keep all my old cotton underpants that have unexplainedly grown too small for the last 20 years, tumble dried to make them soft, instead of lens tissue, for cleaning lenses. (for 20 years; no visible damage. Try not to feel superior!)

Kodak lens cleaner works for removal of oils etc, but leaves a visible residue. I usually clean its residue off with distilled water on cotton bud/Q tip then the trusty underpants; Y fronts in US I think.

Uncoated lenses are no more difficult to clean than coated lenses. Just like early coatings, some front elements are rather soft. Be gentle. Merry Christmas

Dear All,

I'm with Huw on Opticlean, but strangely, although it's originally an American product, it's quite hard to find in the US as the consensus seems to be that the average American amateur is too stupid to understand the instructions. I do not agree myself: I simply pass on what I have heard.

Cheers,

Roger