Cheaper Alternatives for A Canon 5D Mark i

sadie_jeffery

<p>Hi Guys!<br>

Any one out there have any recommendations for a low cost flash for the 5D mark i?<br>

Im saving for the Canon 580EX II Speedlite Flash Unit, but need a temp flash to carry me through the next 6 months, which I will then use as a back up flash once I get my lovely 580EX.<br>

I shoot weddings, just so you know what I will be using it for.</p>

<p>Thanks guys! Sadie x</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Am I kidding myself thinking that i could get away with using <em><strong>a</strong></em> Yongnuo YN-560 II to shoot professional wedding photography, if even for a short period of time?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes.<br /> I am not commenting on the Flash Unit, as I have not used it.<br /> I am commenting that you only have one.<br>

You should at the least have two - even if you only use one at any time.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>If you are planning to get a 580MkII anyway: then a 430MkII would make a good second Flash Unit as it can also be slaved from the 580MkII at times when you want to use Two Flash Heads.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I have the YN 560 III that I purchased for my Canon 6D. The build quality seems just fine and as long as manual isn't an issue I can't see a problem. It is with me though as I don't have that much flash experience so I am upgrading to the 565EX for the ETTL capabilities. { on camera } Unfortunately I'm not sure if the 565EX will work with the 5D Mark I. { an email to Yongnuo's ebay site will tell you whether or not that's true }<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220925119806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649</p>

<p>I added a Yongnuo 565EX to my collection as the price, new, was about what a 550ex is, now. While I no longer use 5Ds, w/ my 5DIIs, it has some troubles. It looses sync, and stops talking to the camera, needing to be turned off and back on again at what seem like random intervals. Perhaps it's solely my unit, but it is very annoying.</p>

<p>If you are planning on continuing to use this flash as a supplement/backup, to Canon units, I'd probably recommend sticking with an EX series speedlight if at all possible. As limited as Canon's IR wireless Ettl is, it allows an incredible amount of creativity. and everything from a 420EX -> 580EX will work well within that system (at least as a slave). 550EX's are my favorite choice, as they can be set as a master, have plenty of power, and are fairly inexpensive, though <em>all</em> are well used.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yongnuo's 46X series is a no-go. They are too much underpowered. 56X series is good.<br>

Oloong's SP-700 is quite hot recently (but only on ebay for guys outside China). Among all the "Made in China"s, this is considered THE best, very close to 580EX, if not better.<br>

-----------------------<br>

Knowledgeable photographers always carry a back up flash, just be aware of the risk.</p>

<p>Sadie, I'd recommend you look carefully at the Metz 58 AF2 Digital. I got one to replace a 430 EXII that "broke" (literally) far too easily - so, sorry, I am distinctly unimpressed with Canon flash units (especially considering the relative cost) right now - and have been really pleased with it's performance. The Metz offers most of the features of the Canon 580, and some that it doesn't, including a much easier to use menu interface than the Canon flashes, and it's cheaper (on par with the 430 EXII in the UK). It's made in Germany, where Metz have been producing electronic flash units for longer than probably anyone else, and I've always been satisfied with those I've used previously - I'm disappointed, now, that I didn't opt for it earlier instead of going for the brand name option. I've read some reviews that criticise the build quality but I'd be less inclined, certainly based on my experience, to take too much notice of these remarks; I believe it's simply "different" not necessarily inferior to Canon and those "differences" are primarily cosmetic.</p>

<p>William, Yes, mine fell "sideways", BUT "slowly", all of 18 inches, onto a carpeted floor when it was gently tipped over along with the tripod it was mounted on by a wayward puppy (something of a occupational hazard) - no major impact I can assure you. The foot did not break off; on contact with the carpet it literally fell apart. I was left with pieces of plastic, broken wires, etc hanging out the bottom of the flash unit. None of the numerous small components "broke" per se and I've carefully re-assembled, reinforced, and re-soldered to the point where at least I have a functional slave unit. The new-fangled "locking mechanism" hasn't survived though.</p>

<p>Tony: well these things happen. Of course you would have to do the same experiment with the Metz to see if the 430EXII really did break "far too easily". I feel your dismay, but I have had zero problems with mine over the years, and once you start dropping things who knows what will happen...</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Sadie,</p>

<p>I have had good experience with LumoPro's LP-120 model. They now have a newer model, the LP-180 (<a href="https://www.lumopro.com/LP180.php‎">link</a>) which looks like a serious upgrade to the already rock solid LP-120. I also plan on getting myself a Yongnuo 560 III. Design is uncannily similar to the 580 EX II but of course it is manual. Great feature set nonetheless, with built in .</p>

<p>I own the 580 EX II but I never use eTTL so I am perfectly happy with manual flashes. In fact, I really do not see myself ever buying another Canon Speedlite. I am perfectly happy with my 3rd party flashes. I will retain the 580EX II (for now, at least), but if ever I have to replace it, it will not be for another one like it, nor the 600EX. Bang for buck is just not there, for manual flash users like myself.</p>