Cheap wide angle rangefinder - is there one?

oofoto

Not a rangefinder, but the original old Nikon LiteTouch P&S had a very competent 28mm lens, its auto exposure and focus performed pretty well and it seemed robust enough. Kind of a Stylus Epic in but 28mm (surprisingly similar controls). Can be found cheapish on a certain popular auction website.

consider a wide angle accessory lens mounted on a normal rangefinder. dont know about the image quality though. A good accessory lens may end up costing as much if not more than the camera it will be mounted on. As for a view finder i suppose an accessory finder should work. i have been meaning to try this myself but havent gotten around to it yet perhaps someone who has tried this may comment on whether or not this would be a viable option.

The Olympus XA4 has a 28mm lens but I think it has only zone focussing - no rangefinder - and a f3.5 lens. The widest rangefinder I've found is the 35mm/f2.8 Olymous XA. Just shot a few rolls with it and it's a DREAM to use in most situations.

You can get an Olympus XA on Ebay in mint condition for probably less than 100.00. They are wonderful little cameras with a very sharp 35mm 2.8 lens. It is a true rangefinder although it is not as bright or large as an interchangeable lens rangefinder. Hey, you can actually put this in your shirt pocket. For the money, it is an excellent camera.

When buying a used XA, check the shutter release carefully. It's an electronic hair-trigger widget, the weakest link in the camera's design and often the first part to fail. A lot of XAs are getting old and many have been well-loved and so heavily used. Needless to say, other than from salvage, parts are impossible to get.

Canon/leica LTM mount rangefinder camera dozens of models None really cheap.

A Canon adapter B and you can use any Canon FD mount lens. I have a 1955 Leica If RD that I use a 28mm f2.8nFD and 24mm f2.0 nFD on Zone focus of course. But with a wide like this it's pretty easy to hit a good focal point.

If you can find a view finder you can go all the way to 7.5mm f5.6 with this combo.

My, but people here have a stong bias in favor of fixed-lens cameras.

If you're up for an interchangeable lens RF camera, consider something Russian with a nice soviet-made zeiss-designed wide angle. I have no experience with any of these beasts, but Charlie Barringer has told me repeatedly that early Kievs are mechanically acceptable and that lenses for them are very good.