Charles Campbell photo workshops. Any experiences?

Rod Sorensen

I'm desperate to have some intensive nature photography shooting with a skilled tutor nearby. I stumbled across Charles Campbell's web site and find that he gives some 3 and 4 day workshops with fairly small groups. I really enjoyed his book, so became somewhat enthused about the idea of a workshop with him.

Has anyone attended one of his workshops? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for responding

Rod Sorensen

ROD, I ATTENDED HIS ASPEN WORKSHOP LAST JULY,I ENJOYED THE TRIP AND MET SOME NICE PEOPLE. THERE WERE ONLY 6 IN OUR GROUP WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GOOD. CHARLES WAS A PERSONABLE TEACHER, HE TOUCHED BASE ON MOST ALL ASPECTS OF IMAGERY. TOOK US TO SOME REMOTE SPOTS FOR WATERFALLS, WILDFLOWERS, ETC.. FOR THE PRICE I WOULD RECOMMEND THE TRIP. RONNIE PULLEN

Charlie wrote a great book entitled

THE BACKPACKER'S PHOTOGRAPHY HANDBOOK: HOW TO TAKE GREAT WILDERNESS

PICTURES WHILE HIKING, CLIMBING, AND SKIIING

which has lots and lots of VERY helpful practical information about gear, technique, composition, metering, and the like.

He has developed a system for exposure with color film based on the zone system called (I think) the Chroma-Zone System.

Anyone who has had a workshop with him lately who could comment on why he switched from Nikon to Canon systems, I'd be interested in his comments.

Of course, the switch was probably not too hard for him, since he doesn't wear glasses.

I've taken two Charles Campbell workshops and they have made a huge difference in my nature photography. No one knows exposure better than Charles. His Chroma-Zone Exposure System is easy to grasp and I use it all the time. I took his Rocky Mountain NP workshop first. He was artist-in-residence there and knows the area very intimately. I also took his Arches NP workshop and captured several images that now grace my office and home. He's a super instructor and really works hard for his students. I think he switched from Nikon to Canon because of the tilt/shift lenses.

I have attended one of Charles workshops after having also attended other workshops given by well known and ranked professionals. Charles is the consumate teacher and professional. His workshops are intented to teach the attendees how to make a better exposure, how to compsose a scene, what equipment is needed, and how to read the light.

Since my initial experience I have introduced others to Charles and consider Charles' workshops to be the best available.....no contesst!

• 1 month later...
I've never seen a better photography instructor than Charles Campbell. He throws out a lot of information but he leaves you alone just the right amount so that you can get your own photos. I attended the Rocky Mountain National Park workshop and the group size was perfect with 10 people. One professional photographer had come all the way from Italy to study with Charles; I was impressed!