CF Card Reader

<p>I'm looking for a good CF card reader to pack with my laptop for traveling. I really like the SanDisk ImageMate which I use with my desktop PC, but apparently SanDisk doesn't have those any more. The only ones I can find at B&H, etc. are multi-card readers for more bucks than I want to spend. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced, single CF card reader. If all else fails, I can always pop the one I have loose from the PC, but I'd rather not...</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Bill</p>

<p>I have several, but my favorite remains the Lexar Firewire Compact Flash Reader. It is (or was) a bit pricey, but I feel I've really gotten my money's worth. Also, for much less money, I have a Promaster CF card reader that works via USB port - it's fine, but not as fast as the Lexar. </p>

<p>Bill,</p>

<p>Another vote for the Lexar Professional UDMA CF SD card reader that Rick mentions. I got it because it does the UDMA CF and SDHC and I use them both, but it is not bulky. It is very fast even though it is only USB, the pop up function works well and protects the slot when traveling. I 100% recommend it.</p>

<p>For the tiniest of them all, probably, here's one I keep with my laptop -<br>

http://www.amazon.com/PQI-USB-2-0-CompactFlash-Reader/dp/B000W4T9KG/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1<br>

Let's not put too much voodoo into a card reader, all it is is a socket that hooks pin 1 to tab b, etc.<br>

So long as the mating between the pins is good, the rest is fluff, tho I guess you do get what you pay for perhaps. Other ones I have are a Sandisk and a Sony. Performance-wise, I've seen no observable difference.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>Jim that is not so, I dropped mine and the cover popped off, there is a chip in there. Don't know what it does but it is not just pin 1 to tab b!</p>

<p>I agree to not get too hung up on this stuff but some things make a lot of sense. USB 2 is a very good thing with modern high mp cameras. UDMA is a must if you use the cards, I didn't and got by for years, now I do and my old readers didn't work too well.</p>

<p>The cover just popped back on mine and it works perfectly.</p>