a complex view on the contemporary human being, remaining unprotected

and facing global ecological changes. It is an attempt to explain that

�Ecological disaster� � is not a local event happened in the past,

that we can either remember or forget, but a situation relating to

every modern human being.</p>

<p>

The images Robert Knoth took for the book Certificate No. 000358/ will

be on exhibtion <a

href="http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/chernobyl-deaths-180406/chernobyl-photo-exhibition-sch">worldwide</a>.</p>

You believe that to have been claimed? By whom and with what grounds? Were the photos of a fake Chernobyl or did someone else take them ?

I really don't know, so enlighten me please. Her site is very famous so I guess (like anything well known or famous) there is bound to be a bunch of people claiming fakery.

I assume there is some substantive, authoritative grounds for accusing the young lady of faking her photos, not just hearsay I hope.

About the Chernobyl facility today (as you read this):

The concrete shell was poured by volunteer soldiers racing across the shell with wheelbarrows in relay team, wearing lead vests that did nothing to protect them from the radiation spiking up from below them, into their feet, legs and vital organs.

After this abysmal effort to contain the radiation, they were paid a small fee and discharged from the military. Most of them died, coughing up their livers and entrails (sorry but true) after 2 to 4 weeks of agony.

Today the shell is compromised. Rain leaks in from above, small animals enter and leave at the base. Scientists who actually understand this situation are very concerned about what's going on with radiation by-products contained within the residue inside the shell.

A massive, US $ billion-dollar project has been proposed to build a weather shelter that will be rolled over the existing, failed shell to at least keep the weather out. They aren't saying who or how they will survey, excavate and build the reinforced railway upon which the structure will be rolled into place. Radiation along both sides of the shell is still at unsafe levels.

Any volunteers?

A major embarassment to the Russian bureaucracy, which desparately tried to keep this quiet.

They have Chernobyl. We have Katrina. Both a shame and an embarassment for our leadership.

Bob in Seattle

Today

I looked at those links, but saw nothing much more than assumptions based on little more than absence of evidence rather than any actual evidence of her absence. However, despite the claims, I enjoyed her 'essay' and she tells a story well even IF parts of it are staged or may have been taken by others. We often hear about photographic 'greats' who were found to have staged some shots or 'massaged' the truth.

thanks Hugo and Trevor.

Not many photographs have evoked tears in 2 seconds, but one of hers did: the one with the gas mask on the window ledge of the kindergareden did just that.

As an Industrial Loss Prevention engineer, the whole Chernobyl monster is a nightmare for me, as it shows me everything we preach in our preofession has a real basis and does in fact deal with life and death matters.

The whole mess was a "predictable outcome of known deficiencies", to quote the opening line of the report of the commission of inquiry at Three Mile Island.

I love her quote: "The roads are blocked for cars, but not for motorcycles. Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want."

Great stuff.

Thanks again

She pretty much admits to making stuff up on an old version of her site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040516051849/http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

'I am being accused that it was more poetry in this story then reality. I partly accept this accusation, it still was more reality then poetry'

The current version of the essay is variously called a 'tale' or 'story' on her new website. I don't know what the real details are, but it seems rather likely she took a standard tour, shot some (genuine!) pictures, and came up with the 'biking through the ghost town' stuff as an attractive framing device.