his silver Leica M and what appeared to be a Noctilux, and when

Carson said it looked like an old-fashioned camera he stated it was

a Leica M6. Carson took a photo with it of Brendan- and looked at

it afterwards and asked why the flash didn't go off- of course

Brendan said it didn't need one. Then he talked about how for the

last 5 years he's been taking photos of his travels and movies, and

had tons of contact sheets and has formed a venue for showing his

photography. Then the next guest came on and he continued to take

multiple photos. Carson said something about his "digital camera".

Anyway, just thought it was kinda funny.

Jeff Bridges, Frank Sinatra (boxing), Diane Keaton, Yul Brenner, Roddy

McDowell, "Murphy Brown" (name? sorry), Dennis Hopper, Gina Lollabrigeta

(spel?), and others form long line of actors who have shot still pictures.

Making movies is a very long, tedius process. Photography is a diversion.

Some results okay, some--like Gina's last book--are awful. Gina's last book

(that I know of) was a mid-1990's "Gina just learned Photoshop" effort. She

combined stock pictures of animals with (I guess her) pictures of children. I

suppose the book was of some interest simply because it was so awful. The

actor/photographers invariably get gallery shows and books published.

Diane Keaton's book on empty hotel lobbies for example. Anyway, I'm sure

Brendan will get a show and book from that "ton of contact sheets".

FWIW, I was channel surfing recently and came across a little bio of Jamie Lee Curtis who was shooting with what looked like a black M6. I believe one of our forum members met her at a bar mitzvah, at which she she was shooting with her Leica.

Oh, and Andy, please run quickly to the bathroom if you're about to experience some overwhelming bodily experience because of growing excitement over this post... ;>)

Dennis

<<"Murphy Brown" (name? sorry)>>

Candace Bergen, Edgar Bergen's (of Charlie McCarthy/Mortimer Snerd fame)daughter.

Of course Linda McCartney. She shot initially with a Pentax, then did most of her work with 60's rock bands using Nikon and Hasselblad.

Jerry Lewis is another. I've seen some very old stills of him holding an R with one of the early Minolta zooms. Must be his genius sense of comedy.

If anyone is interested in "classic' movie stars and other very public people shooting photos and the cameras they used, there's the recent book- "Shooting Stars, Favorite Photos Taken By Classic Celebrities"

Mostly all from the 1950's only recently published. Evidently the person who originally conceived this and contacted all the celebrities, David I Zeitlin, worked in the motion picture business and as an editor of Life magazine. There's no real explanation as to why it was never published until now, after Mr. Zeitlin's death, but includes almost 100 "stars" and their photos. All of the aforementioned in this thread, and John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Bing Crosby, Ed Sullivan, Gloria Vanderbilt, Dean martin, James Michener, to name a few.

That is Candice Bergman.

Peter Sellers and Sammy Davis, Jr.were also avid photographers. Directors Stanley

Kubrick worked as a staff photographer for Look magazine (he was the youngest

photographer they ever hired --I think he was 17) before he became a film maker.

German director and writer Wim Wenders is a very fine still photographer.

Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn in "the Lord of the Rings" trilogy) is a very fine

photographer as well and was getting exhibits of his work before he became a star.

The late Bob Crane (Hogan of Hogan's Heroes) was also an avid photographer, but the

less said about that the better.

Love Viggo Mortenson's work. he is an accomplished photographer... and was before fame came along from the LOTR movies. Love him... poet, artist, photographer & great actor... and to top it off, the man is dead sexy. Here is some of his work:<br>

<a href="http://www.frostyland.com/Viggo/signlanguage/signlanguage.1.html">www.frostyland.com/Viggo/signlanguage/signlanguage.1.html</a>

Then ofcourse there's a slightly diffent direction--politicians and their families. Tipper Gore (former US Vice President's wife) started off life as a newspaper photographer. The former US Senator Howard Baker. Former mayor NYC Rudolph Guilianni (Leica photog--even had a show at Leica Gallery, NYC). Somewhat more obscure is Susan Ford, daughter of US President Gerald R. Ford. While daddy was President Susan worked at being a photojournalist. She even had an internship with Rich Clarkson at Topeka Capitol-Journal (if memory serves). Since Ford's presidential photographer was David Hume Kennerly that may have had an effect on young Susan, since David is quite the charismatic person.

I am not sure if I care for celebrities shooting celebrities. Maybe I am just jealous because celebrities have instant access to other celebrities while I had to wait in the bushes like everyone else. Seriously....Richard Gere's Tibet book is very good, as good as any photo pro's output.