Carlsbad Caverns

amy_wilson

<p>"9) Can we take pictures in the cave? Yes, but remember that camera flashes will not light much of the cave. Cameras, <br>

including video cameras and cell phone cameras, are not permitted during the bat exit flight."</p>

<p>From the NPS website for Carlsbad Caverns.</p>

<p>If I were you, I would check with the park service via e-mail regarding tripods. The same brochure from which the above quote was taken lists walking sticks and any other item which disrupts visitors from viewing the cave as being prohibited. If they don't allow walking sticks, you might have problems with a tripod. </p>

<p>Google "Carlsbad caverns photography"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>About flash in Carsbad, the cave is HUGE. I recall that they mentioned that you could fly a 747 into the cave; if someone has a flash that can light up that space, well, I know I wouldn't want to be in the cave!<br>

Honestly I've had very poor luck with flash and large spaces in caves, too much contrast in the shade. It can be good for closeups though.</p>

<p>A tripod is almost mandatory in Carlsbad Caverns. Just be able to move it out of the way so you will not be blocking the path for others. To get good depth of field, figure on stopping down to f/8 or f/11, and exposure times as long as one second (depending on your ISO). Longer times may minimize images of other persons in the scene. As mentioned, flash is almost useless.</p>

<p>Bring a flash. Maybe more than one and a friend to hold it. There are lots of places you could set up a tripod but I'm not sure they're allowed. There are lots of round steel railings everywhere. You might consider a clamp-on mount. Good luck and have fun. </p>

<p>The Caverns are creatively lit and using flash is not only useless due to the size of the area but, counterproductive in that it would diminish the lighting designed to show off the formations. Flash would also mess up other photographers who are attempting to shoot available light shots.</p>

<p>Using a tripod is permitted and is an excellent idea especially if you are not visiting the Caverns during peak periods when traffic along the walkways can be quite heavy. I recommend that you bracket your exposure in three shot groupings with at least one f/stop between shots. Using aperture priority exposure, I shot with one shot over the meter reading, one shot at the meter reading and one shot under the meter reading. If I were to return to shoot the Caverns, i would adjust my camera to a -1 EV setting and then shoot in three shot bracketed exposures which will result in one shot at 2-stops less, one shot at 1-stop less and one shot at the metered reading. This would give me a better HDR capability. Aperture priority is the best choice. If you are an automatic shooter, your camera will try to use its built-in flash. If you shoot Programmed and or Time priority, your camera will use different f/stops which may be difficult to composite into an HDR image.</p>

<p>HDR is one of the reasons that I would shoot three shot groupings. My canon DSLR cameras, when set on burst mode, will shoot in three shot AEB groupings and then stop firing. This is a very handy capability. I would either use a remote release or use my camera's 10-second delay to fire off the three shot groups. Using 30 second delay would increase the time to photograph the Caverns as would having to shoot individual bracketed shots. I believe that some of the low end Nikon cameras don't have the three shot AEB burst capability which my Canon cameras can shoot.</p>

<p>I would allot plenty of time, memory and battery power for my tour through the caverns. There is a lot to shoot. I would wear a light jacket or sweatshirt because the Caverns are about 50 degrees or so Fahrenheit all year long. I would carry a bottle of water because walking through the Caverns for a couple of hours can become a thirsty affair and the only place to buy water is at the bottom of the elevators which bring you down to the Caverns. I would also carry a small penlight flash to facilitate adjusting my camera. Remember, bring everything you need down to the caverns from the parking lot. It is too late if you are half way through the Caverns and you realize that you have left your extra camera battery in your car (This is personal experience talking!). Remember, bring everything back with you ensuring that you don't litter these magnificent Caverns.</p>

<p>As far as the bat egress from the Caverns, that is a seasonal thing. Additionally, there are not as many bats now as there were 30 or 40 years ago when it looked like a column of smoke as the bats erupted from the cave mouth. I believe that it is pesticides that have depleted the bat colony. Cameras are not allowed at the amphitheater by the mouth of the cave because it is believed that flash will blind the bats and since most P&S cameras will automatically flash in the low light as the bats are leaving the cave. If you are determined to photograph the bats leaving the cave, there is a parking lot above the cave entrance from which you can shoot. A long lens and a timed exposure will get you an image of the bats streaming out of the cave mouth looking like dark gray smoke. Forget about flash in this area also...</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...