Car Photography and Nikon

francinemichele

Hey all! I am currently interning at a car shop that wants some behind the scene shots. I am currently shooting with my Nikon D3200, and my 18-50mm lens. I'm having trouble with getting rid of the grain. I have bumped my ISO up to 800-1600, with an f-stop of 4.5, and I think a shutter of 1/30 to 1/60.

Could it be my lens? Should I bump up to my 70-200mm? Or should I opt for a body change, like a D800 or D7100.

Thanks!

There's no "grain" with a digital camera, it's noise.

A camera like the D3200 should deliver pretty clean shots at 800 or 1600 ISO.

A quick and cheap fix would be to use a tripod or monopod that would allow longer exposure times and a lower ISO setting.

Upgrading to a D800 is a bit of a drastically expensive move.

... I'm having trouble with getting rid of the grain. I have bumped my ISO up to 800-1600, with an f-stop of 4.5, and I think a shutter of 1/30 to 1/60.

Could it be my lens? Should I bump up to my 70-200mm? Or should I opt for a body change, like a D800 or D7100.

Thanks!

Photography is all about light. Personally, if you are shooting 1/30"+ f4.5 @ 1600 ISO, you don`t have too much light.

Buying new gear? It doesn`t add more light. It improves performance and/or features, but not the light you have. And only you know if your shooting session is worth the money you plan to spend.

If you can shoot at 1/30", it makes me think that they are static subjects; maybe you can extend it by 7-8 stops using a tripod.

A small flash unit could help you a bit, depending on what you are looking for.

Edited by jose_angel