Cape Cod get-away

David_Cavan

<p>We have decided to get away for a few days next week - the search for a new job has yielded a result after a few terrifying months of "transition" and this is an opportunity to unwind - and I've booked a room in Cape Cod. We have never been there before, and it just seems time to do something about that.</p>

<p>I'm looking for recommendations on places/times to photograph. We carry Canon DSLR gear, with lots of range from 10mm to 200mm plus TC's; filters, tripods, flashes. We're driving from Virginia so there's no issue with bringing stuff along. My wife loves old homes and buildings, we both like landscapes and wildlife. I'm assuming the only wildlife will be birds, and that is of interest. We like hiking - spending the day outdoors, and I'm assuming there is some of that in the natural areas that seem to be all around the Cape. We are thinking about a day trip to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, but I'm not a big "tour" guy so I'd like to get any ideas about whether that's a worthwhile thing to do.</p>

<p> Any experiences you have would be of interest - this is more fun because it's last-minute and hopefully we'll not get bothered by that latest hurricane lurking down in the Caribbean.</p>

<p>Thanks Don. It has kind of turned out to be a "mill" tour this year for us, in Quebec, here in Virginia and now the possibility of Cape Cod. We've yet to see a working windmill, so that would be a great treat. Here's what I pulled up with a quick search</p>

<p><a href="http://www.windmillworld.com/world/capecod.htm">http://www.windmillworld.com/world/capecod.htm</a></p>

<p>Dave<br>

Look on the internet for a list of the lighthouses in the area. You will be able to seek them out and should have an interesting exploration in trying to get to them. North of Provincetown among the dunes is one lighthouse that is a reasonable hike. The seashore there is wide open and you can easily spend a day wandering. Provincetown is a nice walk around town. Next week will be after Labor day so the crowds should be less.</p>

<p>Thanks Victor - lighthouses are fun, and especially early/late in the day you can get some spectacular shots. We'll do some research. Waiting until after Labor Day was part of the reason I delayed starting at the new job - I'd like this to be as relaxing a trip as possible, and big crowds don't do it for me usually.</p>

<p>Martha's Vineyard is well worth a day trip. The kids are back to school, so you might be able to get over in your car (for several hundred dollars round trip) if you wait in the standby line at Woods Hole. It's far better to travel light and take your bikes (or rent them on the island). Quickest and cheapest way over is the Island Queen out of Falmouth, or the state ferry out of Woods Hole is a second choice (harder to park and you'll probably need to bike a couple of miles down the bike path to the ferry from the parking lot) Mid-week is best.<br /> There are bike paths on the island which will take you to Edgartown and the beaches (10-12mi round trip from Oak Bluffs), or around the airport (very boring scenery-wise). A bike ride down North Road to Menemsha and the Trustees of Reservations Menemsha Hills would be a good day trip, and quite scenic. Probably 25 - 30 miles round trip from Oak Bluffs. A tour of the island on bikes would be 40 miles, but I'd advise giving Aquinnah/Gay Head a pass due to very narrow, hilly roads and not much to see except the cliffs, and there are a thousand photos of them on the web.<br /> Cell service is spotty on the island, OK in Edgartown, Oak Bluffs and Vineyard Haven, pretty bad in the southwest of the island. Taxis are a possibility and fairly inexpensive, as is the bus system ($10 or so for a day pass) which covers the island well and has its hub in Edgartown.</p>

<p>I second the recommendation for the Vineyard or even Nantucket. <a href="http://www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/FareDisplay.cfm?Run=MV">Car fares for the ferry</a> are only $135 for Woods Hole (Falmouth) to Martha's Vineyard plus $16 per person round trip. Nantucket (from Hyannis) is more costly, as it's a much longer trip.</p>

<p>There's also the possibility of a day trip up to Plymouth to see the rock, and the recreated Mayflower (Mayflower II?), as well as Plymouth Plantation.</p>

<p>If you have the time, Martha's Vineyard is wonderful - lots of lovely Victorian cottages and houses.<br>

However, there's plenty to see and do on Cape Cod proper. Check the internet sites for the various communities.</p>

<p>I suppose Labor Day is still crowded everywhere if you're going that early.</p>

<p>Martha's Vineyard was one of those options we've talked about, and it certainly sounds great from what you all are describing. I like the bikes idea - we ride regularly around home so that wouldn't be a stretch at all. I just checked and for $25 a day we can rent, so that's definitely of interest. On the other hand the Woods Hole/Martha's Vineyard car price isn't too bad, so we'll make a call on that soon. Any places that are really spectacular for late afternoon, twilight on the island for photography?</p>

<p>JDM - we deliberately decided to go the day after labor day - I suppose there will be people that stay over for the week, but I expect the crowds to be less. </p>

I lived on the Cape for a few years. Three of my kids were born there. Get what info you can on the Cape Cod National Seashore plenty to see and hiking the long mostly unspoiled beach facing the Atlanic where many ships have wrecked trying to sail around the Cape. Provincetown is worth a day or two. The culture is unique and it is an interesting place. Chatham is very picturesque and quaint. Labor day is madness. There are only two ways on and off the Cape they are bridges over the Cape Cod Canal. The outgoing traffic will be fierce on Labor Day.

I lived in Falmouth and there is a lighthouse on Nobska Point. Adjacent Woods Hole is worth a lunch. The Oceanographic Istitution is there. Stop in Wellfleet and Brewster. I am not a big fan of Hyannis because it is so touristy. Go by the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce. They can help you find your way. Don't know where it is these days. Going the day after Labor is very smart David. Just read your last post. I wouldn't take a car to the Vineyard. Rent bikes in advance over there. The island just isn't that big. You can park in Woods Hole. You get off the Ferry in Vineyard Haven which is a nice small town. The Island Queen Mentioned above leaves from Falmouth Harbor and I am sure you can rent bikes in Falmouth and get parking near where the Queen departs. Its been a while like forty years since I lived there but I have been back many times since I used to be buddies with the owner of the Queen back in the day. Woods Hole harbor is nice photographically and there is a Frank LLoyd Wright house on a little island just off W.H. There is an eight mile bike path from Falmouth to W.H. that runs along the water if the Hurricane hasn't flooded it. Sandwich on the Northwest corner of the Cape is quaint and interesting. There is a lot to see and do. The National Seashore was established, I think, in the sixties. It has left the whole outer portion of the North south arm of the Cape quite pristine. A tribute to those who accomplished it. Eat some Quahogs. They a local clam; just so you can say you did it. Enjoy the trip. Congrats on your new career.

<p>Yes, I meant to mention the National Seashore. +1<br>

Glad to hear you're not going to be there on the day. I once made the mistake of driving down on Labor Day for the Cape when I lived in Boston.</p>

<p>Another of those, "seemed like a good idea at the time" experiences, although now I can chuckle about them.</p><div>00ZGZJ-394541984.jpg.cb5df29133d91c8d33217eabbb557ff3.jpg</div>

<p><em>Any places that are really spectacular for late afternoon, twilight on the island for photography?</em></p>

<p>Yes, the sunset over the Elizabeth Islands can be great. I prefer the Prospect Hill overlook (about a 10 minute hike from the parking lot) at the Menemsha Hills Reservation (small sign "Trustees of Reservations" and a couple of mailboxes on the right side of North Rd about a mile before you get to the Menemsha crossroads (as you're coming south on North road). Google has it marked as "Trustees Ln" on Google Maps. Bear in mind, though, that you'll need to drive, because it will be dark when you get back to the parking lot. The Island Queen (http://www.islandqueen.com) won't be running, so that's a car and state ferry (http://www.islandferry.com) trip.</p>

<p>The islands have their virtues but the fuss of the ferry for a mere day trip will eat up all sorts of precious time that can be more easily and efficiently spent on the Cape with its endless supply of photographic opportunities and other activities. The outer area from the 'elbow' to Provincetown is where the best and most photographic opportunities lie.</p>

<p>Lots of hidden places too. I'm a local and the Buzzard's bay shoreline is a gem. (find the dirt roads and paths that lead to the water.) Rt 6a as mentioned and there is a crazy town out at the end of the world called Provincetown. It has great scenery, good food, and the best potential for street shooting on the Cape.</p>

<p>You seem to be interested in landscape/scenic and historic subjects. Some suggestions:</p>

<p>National Seashore - sand dunes, lighthouses, beaches (on the Atlantic side of the Cape), hiking trails.</p>

<p>Rock Harbor, Orleans - classic harbor shots, great sunsets over Cape Cod Bay</p>

<p>Historic buildings - you have to search a bit to find interesting subjects. Some ideas: Barnstable Court House, sea captains homes in Brewster, Yarmouth or Sandwich, Dexter Grist Mill (Sandwich), Brewster Grist Mill, various churches, Fort Hill (Eastham)</p>

<p>Provincetown - for shopping, people watching, nightlife, and fabulous restaurants</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I used to live in the area and one of my most favorite hikes was at Marconi Beach, at the National Seashore. The hike/walk is down into an old growth cedar swamp. It is a loop trail, that will take about an hour depending on how fast you go. Once down in the swamp (you will be on raised boardwalk paths) you will not believe that you are within a 1/4mi. of the ocean. Enjoy your trip.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the suggestions - sorry, I've been off the air for the past 24 hours but there is a lot of great input.</p>

<p>Cape Cod does sound like a place where you need to get out, walk, bike and look around to find the photo opportunities. I'm thinking we'll likely just stay on the Cape for this trip, and then plan another trip to see the islands. I don't want to be worried about schedules, other than arriving on Tuesday and leaving the following Sunday, at least for this trip. The Cape sounds like a good place to turn off the cell phones and just enjoy ourselves - and get ready to get back to being a productive member of society the following week.</p>