Canonet QL17

lburk1

<p>Today I picked up, totally by happenstance a Canon QL17 camera for the ungodly sum of $5.00. It seems to be in good shape, short off needeing a little cleaning but I have absolutely ZERO experience with these cameras which I hope to change shortly. Anyhow if I can ask some of you folks a couple of questions because the camera didn't come with any manual.<br>

1. What battery does it take?<br>

2. If there is anyone in the Phoenix, Arizona area on here that could recommend someone that I could take this camera to for a good cleaning and lubing.<br>

Once I get this working then it's off to the desert and mountains to burn up some film. Thanks folks!<br>

I also picked up a Polirod 210 Land camera and flash at the same sale for $10.00 What a day!!!</p>

<p>The QL17 is designed for a mercury 625 battery. You can't get those anymore in the USA because they've been banned for environmental reasons. You can substitute a 625 alkaline battery or a Wein MRB-625 zinc-air cell. The voltage isn't exactly the same but it should do well enough. The zinc-air cells don't last as long, but their voltage is stable for most of their life, whereas an alkaline cell slowly drops off over time, resulting in progressively less-accurate metering.</p>

<p>You can use this without a battery on full manual. I bought and used a Wein cell for my used camera, but ended up using Sunny 16 and taking full advantage of the latitude modern film provides. It is really a fun little camera to play with.</p>

<p>Be wary of the Quick-load film system. A moment's inattention and you'll end up not shooting the roll you thought you did.</p>

<p>"You can use this without a battery on full manual."<br>

Well this statement kind of has me concerned, but not too much. I have been playing with the camera and I haven't heard any shutter action even after moving the film advance lever. May be it needs cleaning and lubing or even more likely I don't yet understand what I'm doing with it?</p>

<p>The Canonet GIII QL17 is a good camera - especially that lens - but the leaf shutter is prone to getting sluggish with age. Took over 20 years but finally happened to mine, even with regular use. The original lubes in the shutter eventually get gummy with age and the shutter will become sluggish and finally completely unresponsive.</p>

<p>According to the repair manual I checked, it's necessary to disassemble the lens from the rear, inside the camera body, to service the shutter. I felt competent to clean the viewfinder and do a few other basic maintenance chores, but that shutter repair was beyond my tools and motivation. It can't be repaired by simply squirting WD-40, 3-in-1 oil or anything like that. The only leaf shutter I've repaired was on an old Agfa Isolette folder, which was comparatively simply to disassemble and reassemble, much easier than the Canonet.</p>

<p>While some folks will tackle DIY repairs, I'd suggest looking for a competent service tech who already has the necessary tools and general expertise. Even if they charge $75-$150, you'd still have a very good camera that will last for years.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the Canonet will meter fine with ordinary 675 zinc air hearing aid batteries. That's all I used in any of my cameras that originally took 625 mercury cells: Canonets, Canon FTbn, Olympus OM-1, others. Although the 675 button cells are smaller and thinner, spring pressure inside the battery compartment was sufficient to maintain consistent contact. Figure out replacing the batteries every 2-6 months, depending on the camera model, usage and environment. The zinc air hearing aid batteries don't last long once the taped is peeled off to expose the air vents. But they'll meter accurately until they're suddenly exhausted.</p>

<p>If you are dealing with camera repair, you'd better bury your WD40 or 3-in-1 can in the backyard. This stuff should NEVER come in touch with shutter blades. The oil and wax in these substances will glue them together worse than before. <br>

The blades of the QL17 can be cleaned after removing the front or rear lens cell but it takes time and several runs of cleaning. There is an article covering this issue on www.kyphoto.com/classics . </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lavern, keep in mind that if I recall corectly, the shutter button will not depress if the camera thinks it can not achieve correct exposure in its auto mode, which I believe is shutter priority. Therefore, it will not fire at all if there is no battery in it although I assume it will in full manual as Travis mentions. (Mine is put up and has no battery in it at the moment.) Also, as stated already, the camera can use the PX625a, and while many of my older cameras do also including the Rollei 35 and Leica CL, I found that the Leica meter "didn't like" the alkaline battery so I have to use Weincell or CRIS MR9 adapter w/ V386 silver oxide batteries, but the Rollei and the Canonet seemed fine with the 625a.<br>

BTW, that Canonet was one of my stepping stones in rangefinder photography that ended with the M6. The Canonet is a fine picture taker, and really solid. I eventually found and bought the flash for it too that works by the guide number system as I recall so common at the time.</p>

<p>There were several versions of the Canonet QL17. The early full-sized models had 45mm lenses, while the later compact models had 40mm lenses. All of the various models used 1.3v mercury batteries to power the meter and exposure systems. While most of them used PX-13 or PX-625 batteries, I believe that the earliest Canonet QL17 used the PX-1 or MP battery.</p>

<p>My GIII QL17 will fire on manual but only on 'Auto' with a good battery. I'm using a #675 hearing aid battery with good results. The zinc air battery #675 is available in 12 packs at drug stores like Walgreen's for about .75 cents a battery and last at least 3 months after you pull the tab. It works in the GIII without modification to the battery compartment.<br>

If, on the other hand, the shutter is gummed up then yes, if you can find a competent camera tech to clean it then that could be the way to go.</p>

<p>Read the Cameraquest.com article on under the rangefinder section on these. Apparently you can have a technician adjust the meter to respond accurately to a U.S. legal battery. If working, they are a great little camera. I have a friend who used one and it worked great. One good thing about them, is that many were maid and are available. If one if going on the blink, you can buy one working for not much.</p>