Canon Vs Nikon for weddings?

john_w9

Hi I have been using Nikon for the last 2 years and as you may be aware I am attempting to move in to the wedding

market, we all have to start some where

I'm starting to lose sleep and live on review sites.

Therefore before I purchase on Friday one last question

which one for weddings

Canon EOS 5D + Canon 24-105mmF4L IS USM Lens

Nikon D300 + 17-55DX lens pro kit

I look forward to your replies

Thanks

John

john - both ktis are pretty awesome.

if you are a slow and steady shooter and like bokeh, the full frame is goign to give it to you.

if you are a fast, ninja shooter who likes low light situations, you will like the speed of the D300 and the speed of the 2.8.

IMNSHO...The only thing that attracted me to Canon were the fast primes. They are worth the money.

Otherwise I detest the system. I abandoned the 580 flash for Metz.

Whoever thought of that stupid wheel should be flogged, tarred, and feathered. Going on two years and it's still a

PITA.

ISO 1600 is the max I would shoot with either system. Nikon seems to have even the playing field in the sensor

war.

I shot the 5D for a year and felt it overpriced. All you are buying is the full frame. The 40D is it's equal in every

respect. I think switching for was a dumb move on my part. Rarely have I said... "dang I wish I had full frame."

One consideration I think is very important is the lack of dual card slots.Not having a built in backup system is

underrated and an accident waiting to happen.

I am not sure if your OWN Nikon gear, or have just been using it: if you own Nikon, I suggest you stick with it.

(I bought into a Canon System when I cut over from Film to Digital because Canon had a 135 format (Full Frame) DSLR, and also the Canon fast primes)

Whilst I do not mind that `stupid wheel` . . . (so therefore I think a just simple flogging will suffice, hold the tar and feathers) . . . I certainly agree that there really are not any equipment Holy Grails, at this end of the market.

In specific regard to the two Choices you (John) give and disregarding if you own Nikon already: I would opt for the Nikon choice, because I see more value in the lens speed F2.8 than being limited to F4 but having extra reach from (effective) 83mm to 105mm.

I guess you have gleaned from my previous comments that I prioritize lens speed quite highly.

But, if you were to ask: Nikon D300 + 17 to 55F2.8 vs. 5D + 24 to 70F2.8L, I would opt for the Canon, because it is 135 format, (Full Frame), and I if we bring the lenses kinda equal I consider that there is more flexibility for Wedding Work, especially at the normal and wide angle, by having a `Full Frame` camera.

Hope that helps.

WW

The 5D is said to be replaced this fall. The 24-105 is a great lens, but not my favorite. Although I usually use the 24-105 for almost all weddings the differences are minor compared to the 24-70.

I'd suggest trying out both cameras and see how well they enlarge. Say, up to a 40X60. I think both cameras will pass at low ISO settings.

Hi John,

I read all the posts here and stopped by your website as well.

On your website you sound very strong selling your skills and talents. I am a bit surprise about your post here.

Cameras don't take pictures, but of course having a system where you're confortable with is important and good

gear can help.

I am amazed by the number of posts here where people care most about the top of the line gears in front of

creativity and most important, for me, learning curve.

What can't you do with what you have? It all sounds to me like wedding photography before the ISO 6400-25600

range didn't exist ...

Here is a young lady whose work has a 4 full pages on a UK photography magazine. Guess what? she is using a Canon

350D with a 18-55 lens (and some with a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix 5700). Is it a mediocre camera and bad lens

combo? I don't know. I don't have my work published yet shooting with a Canon 3Ds XXX and F0,95 lenses...

Oh... the link: http://thetragictruth-of-me.deviantart.com/

BTW, put the money in the gear that you are going to use to charge people with ^o^

Hi

Thank you all for your helpful replies, I have decided to stay with the Nikon as I have the 50mm1.8 lens 1 x

sb600 & sb800. However I need to update my sigma 18-200mm lens (dont laugh)

the choices are as follows

1 x Nikon 17-55mmf2.8G AFS DX ED (Only)Pro glass some bad reviews some excellent reviews

or both

Sigma 18-50mmf2.8 EX DC Macro

Sigma 70-200mmf2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II (Most length covered not pro glass with both lenses) as above good and bad

reviews

your views please

Stick with Nikon. As Nadine mentioned ... aspire to the D3 (an astounding wedding camera IMO.)

For a D300 on a budget, look at the Nikon 18-200/3.5-5.6 DX VR. (equivalent to a 27mm to 300mm on a full frame sensor.) I got a used one in mint condition for $500. It'll

do 90% of what you need to shoot at a wedding (I use it on a D300 as a back-up to my primary D3 and two Zoom lenses.) Your 50/1.8 will cover portraits with out of focus

backgrounds.

Then save up for the new 24-70/2.8 G ED.

Marc - I had a D3 for a month on loan from Nikon. I shot three weddings with it and it is an outstanding camera.

However the Canon 1DsMKIII is the Holy Grail as far as a wedding camera is concerned - for me at least.

Ergonomically the Nikon probably has the edge - but when it comes to file quality and especially skin tones - the

Canon is still superior IMVHO. The MK3 is a significantly better camera than my trusty 1DsMK2's. The focusing is

fantastic especially in low light, and the microadjustment makes a massive amount of difference to the AF. I also

like the joystick control that has been introduced.

Now, Nikon has all of these things on the D3 and the added advantage of 'Auto ISO' - so really there isn't

anything to choose between them. I think these days it comes down to file preference - a bit like in the days of

film when you had a Fuji camp and a Kodak camp.

Certainly in the professional camera market - the two companies are tied - and the whole Nikon vs Canon thing

should really be put to bed. But I will say this - the Nikon 24-70 is a stunning, stunning lens....

Jeff

John,

A second though for you to gear up.

First you need to work on your business plan and put a budget forward. Try to rent some gears from Canon and

Nikon and see how you feel with them.

Is there a need to go full frame? I don't thing it's an absolute need as DX and EFS lenses have been designed to

overcome the angle of view with crop sensor.

This guy (edpingol.blogspot.com) shoots with Canon 40Ds and

is pretty busy doing

destination

weddings.

This guy (www.storybyphoto.com) shoots with Canon 20Ds and is

booked more than one

year ahead.

There are quite a few wedding photog here shooting with Nikon D200 and D300 and they do well.

Add some flash guns as well.

All comes down to your style/skills and your marketting.

Looking at the 5D + 24-105 combo, you may get the 40D + 10-22 EFS + 24-105 and you have wider range covered.

With the D300 and the 17-55 above, you may need something wider and/or longer.

BTW I got your email.

it does not make a difference which you buy, canon or nikon, both will do the job. the USER of the cameras will make a far greater difference.

one suggestion-get a backup camera of lesser quality in whatever maker you get. if you have nikon and have an investment in glass and gear, stay with nikon. if you have or will hget the d300 then think of getting the d80-90 bas a backup. unless you wish the best and get a d3 and a d300 for backup. in any case this uses your current gear.

The 5D is not a reliable camera but does produce nice images and is relatively lightweight and inexpensive for a FF camera. You need at least two, preferably 3 to get through a wedding. The Canon 24-105mm f4 IS is a great lens overall but not a good choice for a primary wedding lens. It is too slow at f4 and IS is of no help when people are moving as with the processional, recessional, reception dancing.

For the 5D the best choice would be the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 along with the 70-200mm f2.8 IS. You do want IS with the 70-200mm as at 200mm zoom setting you may not be able to shoot at 1/200 in most churches.

With Canon you have more choices in terms of fast wide angle primes but far fewer choices in terms of quality zooms that are appropriate for photography and there are serious reliability issues (16-35mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 17-55mm f2.8 IS) with most of the f2.8 zooms as well as quality control issues. I know a photographer who had to get 4 copies of the 16-35mm f2.8 lens to get one that was sharp as shipped from the factory. When the IS fails on the 17-55mm f2.8 the lens is not usable even with IS turned off. OK for casual use but do you want to have your primary lens go out in the middle of a wedding?

Nikon has had relatively terrible high ISO performance compared to Canon for the past 5 years. That changed in October with the D300 that has ISO performance on par with the 5D, and the D3 which surpasses anything made by anybody by a very wide margin. Nikon has always had better lenses and a better flash system (more reliable and more consistent exposures).

John you have to remember what you post here will get indexed by Google and could easily be visable to a bride who googles your name for years to come. We all try to "sell ourselves" to our clients and portray our services in the best possible light.