Canon SX10 settings for night concerts outside

tina_b1

<p>Hi, I'm new here and sorry if this has already been asked, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.</p>

<p>I just got the Canon SX10 and am attending an outdoor concert at night. What settings might you<br>

suggest? This is a very energetic concert so lots of movement. I'll be about 20 rows away from the stage.</p>

<p>Any help is much appreciated. </p>

<p>Thank you,<br>

Tina</p>

<p>Concert photography with an SLR is a difficult task. Point and shoot cameras, with their smaller sensors, have an even more difficult time because noise becomes a major problem in low light. I think the SX10 has even a smaller sensor than most point and shoot cameras. So, if you turn up the ISO on the camera (which you will need to do because of the low light), I suspect that your photos will be so noisy as to be (almost?) unusable. Essentially, you're forced to choose between blurry photos or very noisy photos. I've been in similar situations, and here's what I've found to work best. Take some test shots and see how high you can turn up the ISO before noise becomes too much. Once you've found an acceptable ISO level, take LOTS of pictures. Try and time your photos when motion is at a minimum. For example, if a performer jumps on stage, there will be that split second at the top of the jump where they are not moving. That's when you want to take the shot. However, because of shutter lag, it's nearly impossible to time the shot correctly. By taking lots of shots, you'll eventually get lucky. It might take 100 shots to get two or three keepers. But that's the beauty of digital, the bad shots cost you nothing - just delete them.</p>