Canon Speedlite 270EX review

NK Guy

<p>For those interested.<br /> <br /> <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/speedlite-270ex/">http://photonotes.org/reviews/speedlite-270ex/</a><br /> <br />If you just want a small camera-mounted flash unit it's a nice little add-on. However, it lacks a red AF assist light and many functions can only be accessed by post EOS 40D digital cameras, so it's not as general purpose as its predecessors.</p>

<p>it irritates me to no end that it can not serve as a slave. This would have been a giant bonus to canon shooters with little cost added. Having a 580 or ste2 as master and 2 or 3 or these to serve as hairlights, back lights, etc would have been a great solution...<br>

Not to be one of the wave of Canon Bashers roaming the internet lately but it seems that whomever is doing the market research for Canon must have worked for Nikon in the late 90's - early 2000's. The same kind of "we don't really care what you want/need" attitude seems to have taken over.<br>

In any event - guess I'll just have to get some 430's then...</p>

<p>I wouldn't cry in your beer too long. Salvation dawns for JC. If you need a cheap slave there are plenty of old stock and used 420EX and 430EX units on the market. Much better and more powerful units compared to the 270EX.</p>

<p>Realize to have slave ability the 270EX would need to be a lot larger as a pulsing near IR light and receptor are needed, plus associated circuits, maybe even 4 AA instead of 2...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I agree with Puppy Face. The 270EX is listed on Amazon at $160. That's what KEH wants for a used 420EX.<br>

The 270EX is a product aimed at a certain market. It'd be nice for some of us if it had an AF assist light and slave capabilities, but that's not the product market it's for.</p>

<p>count the number of people on one hand that shoot a rebel etc that used the 220...it never sold to them. It did sell on occasion to the 5D, 1D, 1Ds crowd as a way to have a small fill flash in their bags. I know I could get a 430. It's not the money. It's the size. the large red receptor is not needed to be a slave. to transmit yes...for foucs assist yes. But nikon has a tiny little round circle (about pencil sized) that reads the info on their flashes...<br>

it's not a biggie one way or the other...it just would have been nice if it had the ability to go off camera so that I could take a smaller bag with me when i want to shoot portraits in the street etc and want a little off camera flash...</p>

<p><em>"You could trigger one with a pocketwizard, no?"</em> <br /> It would be a full power gn 22 blast every time (or can you activate the zoom without TTL control). Basically about the same as most $20 yard sale finds.</p>

<p>I don't own a 5D or 1D and I have a 220EX. I wanted a TTL flash that didn't break the bank and the 220 filled the void. I sometimes use it for AF assist only on the 40D. I admit it's not a huge seller, but taking the red AF assist out was a bad decision IMO.</p>

<p>So far I don't see anyone that's really enthused about this flash.</p>

<p>And thanks for the review.</p>

<p>It is an interesting point to consider who this flash is marketed at. I suspect Canon wanted to offer cheap bounce capabilities to the drebel crowd, but I agree that they are unlikely to sell many external flashes to them.<br>

At the same time lack of red IR assist is likely to kill it for the 5D, 1D crowd.</p>

<p>I suspect that the target market isn't EOS camera users but advanced P&S users.</p>

<p>The S5 IS, G9, G10, SX10 IS etc cameras all have a hot shoe. They don't use the Speedlite AF assist light as it's the wrong colour for the P&S sensor and doesn't cover the field of view.</p>

<p>The Speedlite 200EX was ideal for them as it was smaller than the 430EX. A lot of users complained about the lack of a tilt facility. Hence the 270EX.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>Although perhaps a bit pricey for the lack of some features (slave, af assist, etc), this speedlight is a perfect addition to some Canon cameras. Notably the G10 series. I just purchased this flash unit to compliment the G10 and it's a perfect match. The settings can be controlled by the G10's menus (as well as other EOS-type cameras). The weight and bounce capability of the flash is such a plus. Overall, I am very happy with this flash. Nothing else compares to this flash in terms of weight, styling, bounce capability, and use of only 2 AA batteries. Don't overlook this unit for a lightweight flash!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I bought the 270EX and have tested it with the 5D. <br /> <br /> - results have been good so far (good exposure)<br /> - 2nd shutter curtain works from 5D custom function<br /> - get good exposure when using bounce<br /> - 28mm / 50mm setting does change coverage<br /> - flash exposure compensation control work fine in gettign the propper exposure<br>

I think this is a nice little flash for the 5D. <br /> Newer cameras (5D mk II, 40D, 50D, 1D mk III, 1DS mk III) have full control of power and all functions in the flash menu of the camera. <br /> 270EX is better then built in flashes on Canon EOS models. <br /> <br /> I am happy with the purchase of the 270EX</p>