Canon goodwill repair

pjmeade

<p>Not long ago I posted a thread about both my 5D and 7D going belly up on the same day.<br>

I sent my cameras back for repair to the local Canon service centre via the Canon Professional Services and the 5D came home today after a major overhaul.<br>

I was astonished to discover that the work had been done on a good will basis and no charge had been made. I'm delighted with the Canon service. Just thought I'd let you know.<br>

The 7D is due home tomorrow. fingers crossed.</p>

<p>I have had consistently positive experiences with getting my Canon gear repaired at both the Jamesburg New Jersey and Newport News Virginia locations. I, too, received a free repair of a 580 EXII that had been repaired but a few months later had stopped working correctly. Canon Service Center VA took care of it.</p>

<p>I seem to remember, back in the day, Goodwill trained people to fix electronic devices like toasters and TVs, selling the fixed item in the store. Now they mainly sell stinky old clothing and don't accept broken appliances. Good to know they now repair Canon DSLRs...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>In 1969 I took my Canon FT-QL to a Canon facility in Fukuoka, Japan (I was in the Army there). I had dropped it off the top of my camera bag and knocked the meter off kilter. They apologized for my having the problem, and served me tea and cookies while I waited. After stewing for 30 years about them orphaning my FD lenses, I am back in the fold. Their patient answers to my questions about 5D problems, and experiences such as yours partly influenced my recent purchase of a 5D2 and some lenses. I am reasonably sure I will be well served by Canon.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After stewing for 30 years about them orphaning my FD lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's nice to hear that you don't, well, hold grudges or anything. It's only been just short of 25 years, hasn't it? :)</p>

<p>With your good example, maybe I can someday overcome my "stewing" about Nikon's change to AI-only bodies at the end of the 1970s. :)<br>

All of my pre-AI lenses work fine on my Canon EOS cameras (and actually on my FD cameras too) with nice TTL metering, stopped down of course.</p>

<p>I was always too lazy to sign up for CPS. Oops....my shutter in 1Ds3 recently had a problem so I sent it to Newport News. $150. I guess they took mercy on me as the camera only had 2200 actuations! Maybe if i were CPS it would be free. So I signed up for CPS Gold. Camera comes back. "Err30". That means shutter! Well, I was not too happy with Canon that day! FedEx'd it in, they got it Thurs, replaced the shutter again, they FedEx'd it back Fri for Monday delivery, their dime (second repair after first failure, and I'm now CPS Gold, so they did the right thing) and now it's perfect. I was not thrilled I had to put off a shoot, but they made it right FAST.<br>

Now they are coming up with an 85 1.2 and 35 1.2 quickly for me to borrow for a Labor Day event to try them out at. Between 2 lenses at one time on short notice, and making the second repair fast, have to say I'm satisfied with Canon. Anyone can have an early failure, anyone can have a mistake in repair (but 2 so fast on the same camera - wow, bad luck) but nailing it and doing so fast showed me something. <br>

And I have to admit, free shutter with only labor charge on an out of warranty camera was not so bad considering I was not CPS at that time.<br>

I used to hold it against Canon for orphaning all those FD owners (I was not one of them). But is that really 30 years ago? Can't be......does time go that fast?<br>

<br>

hnow </p>

• 3 months later...
<p>My recent experience:I take immaculate care of my Canon 60D SLR. I sent it in because I was having an issue with the built-in flash not triggering. This is a common problem with this model. I have been told there is a "Sticky, brown, liquid" inside. This is BUNK. <br /><br />There is no way that camera has been exposed to anything unless it happened when it arrived at their facility. I keep that camera in a bag, put away full-time. The only time I have it out is when it's around my neck. It has never been in extreme temps either. <br /><br />The Customer Service Rep I spoke to on the phone was completely unhelpful. They offered to send me pictures and here three days later, no pictures. I even verified my email address with them. <br /><br />Even though the camera is still within warranty they are charging me $302 for the repair, a repair I believe they are inventing to avoid covering THEIR defects! When I asked for the damaged part back, they refused saying they have to recycle it. BULL. It belongs to me and is MY PERSONAL PROPERTY. <br /><br />This battle isn't over. I have authorized and paid for the repair because I need it back during this holiday season. They have me over a barrel. I'm missing prime shooting opportunities with my family because of their poor service. I sent it on 11/21/11 and here it is 12/3/11 and they haven't even begun the repair yet! I'm extremely angry with Canon Repair "Service." </p>