Canon G7 - Chuck Westfall interview at Photokina

phule

Imaging Resource ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/ ) has posted their interview

with Canon's Chuck Westfall on the Canon G7.

Not a whole lot of substance, except to mention some of the changes that come

with Digic III (faster shot-to-shot time, faster startup) and that there's an

underwater housing for the G7.

Sadly, he does not address the issue of the loss of RAW from the G-line.

Why would I need raw if the difference in the raw and jpeg is unnoticeable? The 350d has raw but I dont use it , cause the jpeg looks the same to me , maybe the g7 too, has excelent proccessor.

If the jpeg of a camera is as good looking as a raw, for me, shooting raw is just a waste of time and disk space.

Keep in mind that the G7 is not a proffessional camera, and I'm not gonna shoot with it if I'm on an assignment, I'll grab a dslr for it.

Pressumably, the digic 3 is good enough for canon to decide not to include raw capture. and even if it has raw, the small sensor is limited in dynamic range compared to a dslr.

There is no way I'll shoot with G7 proffessionally, it is just a hobby camera for me.

I saw your pics with your GR-D , they're nice , but it look cleaner if you used a 350d or something equal, But your choice is the GR-D. there is nothing wrong with that.

It is almost the same with the G7, whether you like to shoot with it on an assignment or not is your own choice, the raw capture still cant eleminate the limitation of the small sensor of that camera.

BTW , I'll never be a pro. and I dont want to be, this is just a hobby.

"Keep in mind that the G7 is not a proffessional camera"..."There is no way I'll shoot with G7 proffessionally, it is just a hobby camera for me."

Here's what Canon is saying about the G7:

"Canon's high-end PowerShot digital cameras incorporate the creative performance of a professional digital SLR camera and the compact ability of a PowerShot digital camera"

Would Canon be misleading us? They would'nt do that would they?

Would Canon mislead us, I'm not sure.

But the shutter speed will not show up when you set the sd700 IS at iso 400 and 800, because the sensetivity in those mode are'nt really ISO 400 and 800 equiv. and the shutter speed will not double at those settings when compared to lower ISO.

Whether it has anything to do with the G7 or none, I'm not sure. I dont know also If Canon would dare I say, cheat about High ISO sensetivity with the G7.

If Canon really want the G7 for pro or semi pro market, It should have a raw mode, But it does'nt, and that is quiet contradictory to what you said they said, Mr smith.

It is an interesting association, this one between "pro work" and RAW. The other day I was reading an interview in EOS Magazine, from the picture editor of a major british newspaper (The Times, if I remember correctly). He says that the PJs all shoot JPEGS.

Sure, it is nice to have RAW, but not always necessary (unless you are a fine art photographer, perhaps).

"It is an interesting association, this one between "pro work" and RAW...He says that the PJs all shoot JPEGS." -- Paul

Raw takes longer to clear the buffer than jpeg. For the same reason (filesize) fewer can be stored on the card. Kinds of photography that rely on speed are not well served by raw's filesize.

I don't know where the notion came from that raw is for pros.

--

Don E

"If Canon really want the G7 for pro or semi pro market, It should have a raw mode, But it does'nt, and that is quiet contradictory to what you said they said, Mr smith."

I've quoted Canon. Did not make this up. See for yourself at:

www.powershot.com