canon G12

<p>Hi guys,<br>

Thinking about getting a Canon G12. Will be primarily using in conjuction with my start up company to upload product images onto website etc. Would there be other cameras at a cheaper cost to do the same job. Any arguements for or against would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Many thanks,<br>

jonny</p>

<p>Product images are mostly about the lighting used to light up the products for their best display. The Canon G12 is a very competent camera that would more than adequate for your purpose if you get to know the features it has available. A good addition to the G12 might be the little Canon 270EX flash shown here in kit form for not very much money. http://www.adorama.com/CA270EXUKA.html Good luck!</p>

<p>well, you can get a refurb entry-level dslr for about the same as a G12, or the p7000 which works better with external flash, for less as well. you dont say what your level of photographic experience is, but in any event, agree with gil that product shots are about lighting. depending on what you're shooting, you may want a portable soft box, external strobes, etc. the camera is just a tool to create an image.</p>

<p>You might consider the Fuji HS10 right now Jonny. They were just discontinued, and you might be able to find one for a very good price. They have a much greater zoom range, and I believe their video feature is better. The fact that the HS10 has a real viewfinder (although it is an electric one, like a video camera viewfinder) is both a good and bad thing. I prefer it to a rangefinder-style viewfinder though, which is what the G12 has. One thing that's great about the HS10 is its capability to capture photos continuously at 10fps and allow you to pick from the previous photos after you press the shutter. This would be a great feature for shooting product shots in which there is action, such as shots of liquid falling into a glass (you would need lots of bright lights on your subject, because you'd have to use a very fast shutter speed - like 1/500 second or faster - sunlight with mirrors reflecting more light on the subject from behind is best and cheapest . . . otherwise, you could get two or four sets of those $50 dual construction flood lights on stands at Home Depot, and use a higher ISO setting).</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3670956">Eric Arnold</a> - Please explain how the P7000 works easier with external flash. I have a G10 that I use with mono-lights with perfect ease or I can use my Canon speedlights or for that matter manual flashes with out a problem.</p>