Canon FD 50mm S.S.C. 1.4 repair help?

joe_monahan2

<p>Hello all. I took my 1.4 apart to clean it. It had oily blades and a haze that was producing low-contract images.<br>

Everything seemed to go well. I got the aperture housing out, front and rear lens elements off and they cleaned up well. I almost declared myself a superhero, when I tried to put it back together :-)<br>

Everything went into place until I got to the rear mount. There just doesn't seem to be the right spacing for the AE pin, the stop down link and the aperture selector to all go where they need to go.<br>

I could put up a link to a video, but thought I would check for any troubleshooting suggestions first.<br>

Thank you!<br>

Joe</p>

<p>Maybe the following link will be of help:</p>

<p><a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-161.html">http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-161.html</a></p>

<p>Breech lock FD lenses have one of the most complex mechanical mounts. Fortunately, oily diaphragms can usually be accessed through the front of most lenses. If you disassemble the back of the lens, be forewarned that it's a lot trickier to reassemble. You need to get all of the levers and forks properly aligned.</p>

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
<p>If you have the First series of the Canon FL 50/1.4 breech lock SLR lens, WARNING it used a cemented pair in the back end; which is a real project to get to. Canadian balsam glue that is de-cementing this pair absolutely ruins the lens , short of boiling and re-coating, I suggest you use it as a novelty paperweight! Disassembly is NOTHING as easy as the 50/1.4 FD lens, so don,t waste you time. </p>