Canon F-1 power winder install

chris_burgess3

<p>Hello,<br /> I am receiving a Canon F-1 (early) and a Power Winder F soon, and I would like to know a little about putting them together. Can the camera owner do it, or does it usually get done by a camera repairman? If owners do it, does anyone have any tips or techniques, advice on tools to use, etc. I have also purchased the owners manual for the winder, expecting it in a few days.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>At first I thought- no problem, a 3 minute assembly. Then I realized it wasn't a motor Drive MF but a power winder F. I have never owned one but the basic procedure for all motor drives with the F1 (old style) is to remove the camera bottom plate by unscrewing the battery cover and carefully putting the bottom plate, battery cover and battery in a safe place. Then mate the winder with batteries loaded to the bottom and tighten to body by hand with the tripod socket attachment screw. The drive will contain its own battery set (not sure what winder F uses) and this will power the camera wind and meter. Obviously, there may be a control dial on the winder or a switch to turn it on or off or set to continuous or single exposure a la the Motor Drive MF. And that is it. Start shooting if you have the film in it or no.</p>

<p>I have the Motor Drive Unit with the corded battery pack. The inside of the battery pack contains AA battery holder which produces 15 volts from 10 cells. I have a few extra inserts if anyone needs them. The previous poster is correct with the very easy installation of the Motor Drive. I've enclosed a picture for you to compare it to the one you bought!</p><div>00XpDj-309797584.thumb.jpg.e5b582fff6ba8bc94b1155fc242ef0cb.jpg</div>

<p>I've got the motor drive MF and the procedure for installing it is a bit different than what Rod had listed above. </p>

<p>Take your F-1 and remove the battery compartment cover (the one you turn with a coin) and remove the battery and the bottom plate. Then put the battery back into the holder and screw the battery compartment cover back into place, leaving off the bottom plate. Now install the MF motor drive to the bottom of the camera. The MF motor drive has a cut-out/indention to allow for the battery and battery compartment cover to remain in place.</p>

<p>The light meter in the original F-1 cannot be powered by the batteries in the MF motor drive. It needs it's own 1.3 volt mercury cell (which are no longer sold) to be powered and make light readings through the lens.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>