Canon eos1d markIII Camera choice??

clark_roberts

Hi all,

I been looking for a Canon Digital camera, not too expensive just a real good back up body. You see

I have a Canon EF-L lens I got real cheap ($150.00) a 24mm f2.8L II lens, it must of been on a camera that

must of been dropped and when I received it rear part was separate from the front. Well I purchased a new

motor for it, rebuilt it and it works and the pictures are stunning. Now I found a camera off ebay a eos

1d mark III it only went for $255.00 complete with box and all the goodies, I know it's 10.1 mega pixels

and it's a H size sensor which is all fine I just wanted a great little backup so is it a good choice??

"I just wanted a great little backup"? I don't think anyone would describe any EOS 1D camera as "little". Unless you need high frame rates or fast AF, I think a EOS 5D Mk I would have better image quality (at reasonable ISO settings), be much lighter and of course full frame. I would expect not to pay any more than $255 for a 5D Mk I and perhaps for a few hundred $'s more, a 5D Mk II may be available.

THe EOS 1D mk III was introduced about 1.5 years after the 5D, mostly in response to the AF issues that purportedly plagued the 1D Mk II. It will certainly outperform a 5D in terms of AF and frame rate, but it's also a 3 lb brick with a 1.3x crop factor, which would provide a 31mm field of view from your 24mm lens. The difference in pixels would not influence my decision.

. . . I already have a Sony A7II and a Nikon D700 it's just I have this great 24mm L lens (one of the sharpest I

ever used) and just want a body for it and the EOS 1 line has alway's peak my interest.

I have a 24/1.4L and IF I "just" wanted a body, exclusuivley for that 24mm lens I would look at 135 Format and not APS-H. The salient point is, your looking at a body exclusively to fit this lens, your throwing away a good deal of the FoV. At 24mm FoV you can crop to 31mm FoV.

On the other hand, if your simply interested in 1Series Bodies, as a separate item to the lens you have then go for it: in either case I can't see how this purchase would be a "Back Up" body to what you already have in Nikon and Sony gear. It seems to me more of a collecting thing, and that's OK, but I think you've got to work out exactly the reason for you wanting to purchase.

WW

• Like 1

I'm going to suggest you do buy the Canon 1D mark III. I'm currently using a Canon 6D, 1D mark II and a 70D. The 70D almost never gets used, I'd get rid of it but the wife and kids use it from time to time. Of the three bodies the 1D mark II is my favorite body. I don't shoot sports anymore but I have kids and a granddaughter and pets and love wildlife and the 1D is a killer combo with my 70-200 f4L and 100-400L plus it works great with tc's, much better than the 6D or 70D. I got it cheap, that was the attraction plus it came complete with box and all the goodies for $175.00 (I think) from eBay and it looks and functions like a new body. If you use a monopod or tripod with gimbal the weight of the body isn't a concern. If I had to shoot handheld all day then I would choose another body. I've owned the original 5D and loved it but sold it for the 6D and don't miss it. For less than $300 the 1D mark III would be an awesome addition for occasional photography, I might add one someday to replace the mark II if I ever wear it out. And lastly the my camera is 8.2mp's and I've got a few 8x10's and a 11x14 that Iook good to me so I don't think the 1D III's 10mp's vs the 5D's 12mp's are a big deal.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...