Canon EOS 6D as wedding camera

pr_k

<p>Hi All,<br />I wanted to upgrade my camera to a full frame. I was looking at canon 6D. My main area of interest is wedding/events. I have read so many comments here saying 5D mrk ii is “THE” camera for wedding photography. As 5D mrk ii is not longer in market, can 6D be considered equivalent for wedding/even photography with same capabilities as 5D mrk ii?<br />Should I go with 6d or cropped sensor 7D for an upgrade? Please guide me.</p>

<p>I would always go with a full frame sensor if given the choice. The Mark ii is something you could probably find on eBay now that the Mark iii is out and being sold, and people are wanting to upgrade. I don't know enough about the 6D to compare it to the Mark ii, but if you look on B&H's web site you can compare the technical specs of one to the other.</p>

<p>I would go with the 6D in your shoes. The biggest downside (IMO) is it's poor ergonomics (due to size), but if you haven't gotten used to shooting on full size EOS bodies (7D, 50D, 5Dmk1&2&3, etc.), then you'll likely never even notice the difference.</p>

<p>It is a very very good camera. almost ideal for wedding work, as it doesn't have the speed of the 7D/5D3, but has better UltraHigh-ISO capability than both. It's center AF point is also very very sensitive (and does well even in very very dark circumstances). I wouldn't replace my 5D2s w/ 6Ds if one were to fail, but that's only because the poor (IMO) ergonomics impact my shooting.</p>

<p>I would pick the 6D ergonomics over the 5DIII. In my opinion, the only thing the MkIII has over the 6D in the handling department is that is it bigger and heavier, which are negatives. I prefer the 6D to the MkII. The 6D makes a great wedding camera.</p>
Robin Smith

I hear it is pretty darn good.

Just a thought - My fear with these cameras are the SD cards. I'm not sure? Does this camera take sd cards or compact flash?

I've always favored the cameras with 2 cards, For about 3 or 4 years now I've been using the 1 Ds Mark 3. These cameras are heavy in weight and I can't think of a single person that's had this camera fail. They are so good I now have 3. These take 2 cards, 1 SD and 1 CF. You can pick these up for around $2500 in mind condition. Added the shutter is said to last for 300,000 clicks. I never take out the SD card, just the CF card. If the CF card fails, well I'm very much covered with the SD.

Just a thought. I had the 5D 2 and the sensor fell out of it. Yes I had a back up and it was at a wedding. That was enough to scare me a lot. By the way, I'm not at all against Canon's, heck I own 5! Just some wisdom which I've experienced through the years. One last thing, the 6D I think has 20MP's. The cameras I use are 21 MP's. You can surely expect to enlarge prints around 34 by 40. This is with an ISO/ASA of 400 or less. I haven't made any enlargements above about 800. The higher ISO's scare me. Too much background noise during the receptions. Just opinions of course.

<blockquote>

<p>I wanted to upgrade my <em><strong>camera [</strong>singular<strong>]</strong></em> to a full frame. I was looking at canon 6D. My main <em><strong>area of interest is wedding/events</strong></em>. . .<br /> <strong><em>Please guide me.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>1. What lenses do you have? A camera is only part of the kit, lenses are important too.<br /> 2. What is the camera that you have now - are you keeping it?<br /> 3. (as asked already) What do you think you will gain with full frame. Can you elaborate?<br /> 4. You need more than one camera for these tasks - your question implies strongly that you have only one camera and that you are 'upgrading'; (aka 'replacing') it.</p>

<p>WW</p>

William! I've been shooting full frame forever! I've forgotten about the lenses of choice that aren't full frame. Good catch.

I have to add that I wasn't the only one; more like thousands that had problems with the sensors falling out of the 5D 2. I wouldn't advise you getting one. Interesting that the longer lenses were effected. Mine bit the dust with the 70-200mm. Several people on this site have commented on this.

If you can swing it, get 2 cameras that are the same. With all of the buttons and assorted settings it's a real pain fumbling around when you need that special shot and you have 1 chance of nailing it.

I really like KEH for used cameras and lenses. They really back their sales gear.

Keep us posted with what you pick up. It's always fun seeing what people are using and how they like the camera.

<p>below are my answers<br>

1. Lenses I own are canon 50 f1.8 and Tamron 24-70 f2.8. I borrow friend's EF-S 17-55 2.8.<br>

2. I am currently shooting 60D. I will keep it till I upgrade my backup to full frame (I used to borrow a friend's 60D as backup all these days)<br>

3. I am mainly looking at decent performance in low light and Low noise at high ISO. I am also considering FF so as to make use of my 24-70 at its actual focal lengths.<br>

4. I borrow a friend's 60D as backup.</p>

<p>Thanks for answering.</p>

<p>If I were you I would choose a new 6D over a second hand 5DMkII and then lastly a 7D.<br>

I have not used a 6D (but do use 5DMkII and 7D) and it is not usual for me to recommend a bit of gear that I have not used - but based on reviews and on personal comments from trusted sources, I believe that a 6D would be the best option for you. </p>

<p>I suggest that you continue borrowing your friend's 60D and also the 17 to 55/2.8, which gives you a backup camera and main working lens. Also borrowing a 60D (an APS-C camera) as the second camera, allows you to use it for a FoV increase using both the lenses that you own.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Given your stated reason for upgrading, the 6D ought to do fine for you. It is better in low (and virtually no) light than the 5D2 (only marginally, but it has definite advantages at ultra-high ISOs, and low light center point focusing), given it's similar ergonomics to the 60D, and it's common memory (SD cards) w/ your 60D, it's a good fit.</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 weeks later...