Canon EOS 300D ???

I would not suggestthe 10D. if going with canon go with a 20d instead. if you wantto stick

with Nikon --and there is noreason you shouldn't -- the D70 is arguabley a bettercamera

and a better buy than the 300D. I also strongly urgethe two of you to go to a tore and play

with each. if this is either her or your first foray into digital imaging and you are not

currently doing your own film developing and printing be mindful that to a very large

degree much of the processing control is now the responsibility of the photographer and

that many defiencies in your or her technique that might have been corrected by the lab

before will now become part of your or her photography routine.

As a primer to digital photography , I recommend the book "Real World Digital

Photography", second edition.

You can't really go wrong with any of them. Remember that you are buying a system

not just a camera, how much nikon equipment do you have? Canon seems to have

more compatibility than Nikon, but the big thing the D70 has going for it is instant

start up (the 300D takes a couple seconds). For amateur photography I don't see a

reason to get the 10D over the 300D especially with the hacked firmware. I really like

my 300D and I would say instead of spending a bit more for the body, spend that

money on lenses and other accesories.

All cameras are able to take stunning pictures. Now you must choose if you want to stay with Nikon or Canon lenses, wich are both very good. Then you must choose how much are you willing to spend for the camera and decide accordingly. There's not really a "bad" choice.

Simone

One big advantage of the 300D over the 10D is that the 300D can take the EF-S lenses.

These are lenses that are (supposedly) specially designed for the DSLR range. However,

they have a unique lens mount, and cannot be used on any EOS film camera, or even on

the older EOS Digital SLRs - the D30, D60 and 10D - or on the pro EOS DSLRs (basically,

the EOS 1D range).

The 300D kit comes with an EF-S lens.

It's not a great lens but is worth the small amount of extra money that it costs and is OK

as a starter lens. There have been lots of threads here about it - do a search for 'EF-S 18

-55'. There are also two other, better, more expensive EF-S lenses that offer certain

advantages to users of Canon's consumer DSLR range. These are not part of the kit but

your wife may want to buy them at some stage. If she gets the 300D she can, if she gets

the 10D she can't.

The much newer 20D also takes the EF-S lenses.

From my perspective, I would first look at which camera system has the components (lens, flash, etc.) that you like best. Then buy the least expensive camera body that meets your needs. The reason behind this logic is that digital cameras are going thru such rapid changes, in a few years the digital body will be obsolete. I bought a Digital Rebel knowing that I'd replace it in 3-4 years.

Keith,

I would replace a Nikon with another Nikon unless she has good reasons to move away from her current system.

The D70 is apparently a very good camera (No personal hands on experience. I have a 10D) and the price is not much higher than a 300D. At least she wouldn't have to replace the lenses.

Cheers,

I don't think the EF-S lenses are that much of an advantage, unless one plans on sticking

with APS-C sized DSLRs. And the 20d is only BARELY better in terms of image quality

compared to the 10D / 300D. Get the 20D for the 5 FPS, get it for the lower noise at ISO

400 and above, but it is resolves only the barest amount of additional detail when

compared to the 10D / 300D.

But I agree, get her the Nikon. Unless you have a situation where you are an EOS (or

Pentax, etc) user and she is a Nikon user, and you find that you're investing in 2 of every

lens, in which case it may make a lot of sense to consolidate systems between you. If she

already has all the lenses she wants or needs, though, just get her the D70.

I've had my hands on both the D70 and the 300D (I own the D70, my mum has the 300D) and they're both excellent cameras for the price.

I'll add my voice to the chorus saying the D70 is probably the way to go, but if she feels more comfortable with the 300D, there's certainly nothing wrong with it - the reason my mum got the 300D is because she thought the D70 wasn't as comfortable to her hands or as easy to use because of the layout ... it is all what you're used to, and that's the important thing.

Your wife can't go wrong either way for the price though.

I would also suggest looking at the new E-300 Evolt by Olympus. And then look at the complete system you want to haul. Right now, a cheap solution would be the E-300 kit, with a Sigma 18-125mm. Total? About $1175. Lens coverage of 28-250mm Field of View. With just the kit lens (kit is about $925), you have a FoV or 28-90mm.