Canon EF 100/2 with no Serial Number?

gonzalomoreno

<p>A few days ago I bought new a Canon EF 100/2 lens. I keep a listing with the serial numbers of all my equipment (in case something gets "lost") so I started looking for the serial number of the lens but I can't find it. Of course the lens came in a Canon box and it has a a label with the serial number: (21)05300106 but not the lens. Does somebody have a similar experience with a recently bought lens? Is there a special place of the lens I have to look for ther serial number?<br>

Thanks a lot for your replies and best regards, Gonzalo</p>

<p>Consider yourself lucky. In 1991 I bought an FD 100mm Macro Lens. It had a front element and a rear element but from what I could tell it had <strong>nothing else in between</strong>. No joke, not even the aperture mechanism. It took B&H a year to sort that one out but they eventually sent me a new one.</p>

<p>I do not have a 100/2, but I do have its very similar contemporary the 85/1.8. On my lens the serial number is on the matte black rear-facing component of the lens carrying the electrical contacts, on the opposite side of the lens axis to the contacts. It is stamped in tiny characters with no pigment, but there is a difference of texture, and the s/n is just abut legible if you get both the light and the eye position exactly right.</p>