Canon E0S 20D Low Light, Action Photography

I am currently an aspiring sports photographer for DIII college

athletics. I am working with volleyball. I am very comfortable

working with SLRs, but am having a difficult time transitioning to

the 20D DSLR.

All of my shooting happens in poorly lit gyms (the main problem).

I am using a tripod, have my aperature wide open, and am still am

having difficulty freezing the action if my shutter speed is even

close to where it should be for a correct exposure. My ISO has been

at both 400 and 800, I am currently expimenting with higher ISOs. I

have dropped my lens size down to a 18-55mm and still can't seem to

get the light that I need to stop the action.

Any thoughts? What would you recomend? Have you had these issues?

Thanks for any feedback!

I'd recommend fast lenses, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 or 135/2, all used between f/2 and f/2.5, and as high a sensitivity as appropriate to freeze action.

At ISO 3200 f/2, in "typical indoors light" (LV7), you can use 1/1000s.

personally I have seen LOTS of flashes at sports events. SO I kind of agree with Peter. get a big flash (this will work ok in volley ball there are other sports however that a flash will not help much,, as Keith mentions though, make sure the players are fine with it you don't want to get in trouble).. ALSO, get a lens with a larger max aperture. the lenses you are probably using are only capable of maybe f/3.5 or f/5.6 depending, YOu see those big white round things attached to the pro's cameras for a reason.. relatively large apertures on the pro lenses.

<I>I have dropped my lens size down to a 18-55mm and still can't seem to get the light that I need to stop the action.</I><P>

I'm sorry, but the above is totally incomprehensible; sort of like saying that you've replaced all your office furniture with leather but your internet download speed hasn't improved. What does the focal length have to do with the amount of light you need?<P>

The Canon 18-55mm lens is f/3.5-f/5.6 and you didn't say what aperture or focal length you're shooting at. If you're shooting "wide open" (I use the term loosely with that lens) at 55mm then you could <b>QUADRUPLE</b> the amount of light you have by just switching to a decent f/2.8 zoom like the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Using an f/2 or f/1.8 prime would essentially double your available light yet AGAIN, so with a camera like the 20D that has good high-ISO noise performance, and a fast lens there should be no need for flash.<P>

I advise against flash for sports like that, but if you insist on flash it should be set to the lowest possible power and DIFFUSED against a wall or ceiling to avoid dazzling the players' eyes.

Depends on how dark the room is and how much money you have.

First, ditch the 18-55, it's useless. f5.6 on the long end you may as well leave your lenscap

on for this type of shooting.

If you've got enough light for 2.8 (very likely) and enough money, get whichever of the

Canon 2.8 zooms gives you the focal lengths you need. Be wary of 3rd-party 2.8 zooms.

Wide open performance is one of the biggest differences between good lenses and great

lenses.

The 100/2, 85/1.8, 50/1.4 primes are all good wide open, save you money, and give you

a stop or two of extra speed. The 135/2 is stunningly good wide open, but it's a bit more

money. You could get a 50/1.4 plus a 135/2 for less than a Canon 2.8 zoom, getting

somewhat better sharpness and a stop or two more light.

Use ISO 1600, invest in Noise Ninja or Neat Image, learn how to apply them to batches of

images. Also learn how not to go overboard and get Barbie-face (plasticy look).