Canon compatibility with YN560 flash

tina g.

<p>I'm using a YN560 flash with a Canon 580 for off-camera flash lighting. I am new to OCF so still trying to figure it out. I have both set to 1/4 power, which I believe is what you need to set flashes to for OCF.<br>

The YN560 is considerably weaker than the Canon. I changed the batteries so I know this isn't the case. I've read many reviews about the Yongnuo flash and it seems to be getting rave reviews, but it isn't working for me. <br>

I guess I can just turn up the Yongnuo to half power, and leave the Canon at a quarter power, but wanted to ask her if perhaps there is something that I am doing wrong? Can YN560 work well with Canon flashes? I was hoping to save myself some money by buying the YN560. <br>

Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Why do you feel you have to set both flashes to 1/4 power for OCF? It's not a requirement that I've ever seen or heard of.</p>

<p>Are you trying to use the flashes in automatic exposure (TTL) mode? </p>

<p>Which Canon 580 flash do you have, 580 or 580 Mk II? Their operation differs slightly.</p>

<p>I suggest that you start by reading <a href="http://super.nova.org/DPR/#Canon">this tutorial</a> on how to use the Canon flash system.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>If you are working manually I would suggest the only need to adjust power settings is for light balance between the units, to work at a desired aperture, to save battery power .. could be other reasons I have not thought of :-)<br>

If you want a YN to work with the camera, onboard it, you need the 468[Canon] model. There is also a Nikon version which I assume is becuase of different contact pin arrangements in the camera hotshoe. This flash is supposed to do TTL and since the Key light is usually used stronger than the fill could be a way to use the units with the Canon 580 as the remote slave, except does it have an optical trigger built in like the YNs? I know Yn's but not Canon.</p>