Canon AE-1 Program Battery Life

james_sheridan

<p>I'm not sure how long the battery will last during long exposures, but I'm pretty sure the shutter will close when it runs out. If I'm not mistaken, it'd held open by electromagnets. As far as battery life goes, mine will usually last over a year, even with regular use.</p>

<p>You can cut a wooden dowel to the right size to fit into the battery compartment, stick a thumbtack into each end, and hook two wires to it, one at each end, and connect the wires to a box containing four 1.5V AA batteries and you've got your external power pack for a few pennies.<br>

You can pick up one of these boxes very inexpensively. See here:<br>

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/battery_boxes.html<br>

The approach, while ugly, will solve the problem of not having access to 6V batteries.</p>

<p>James,<br>

The shutter will close if the battery dies. The A-series cameras keep an electromagnet energized while the shutter is open. When the magnet is de-energized, it releases a catch that lets the second curtain close.</p>

<p>When making your external battery pack, be certain that your battery holder wires the four cells in series to produce 6V, and be certain that the polarity is correct when you apply power to the camera's battery compartment. I can't say whether the camera is protected against reverse polarity.</p>

<p>With a trip to Radio Shack and a soldering iron you can build a 6 volt battery pack that will hold the shutter open for hours on end. I slipped a four AA battery holder into a big pill bottle, added an on/off switch and an indicator light (serves absolutely no purpose but I love sticking lights on anything I make) and connector leads attached to a cylindrical piece of plastic the same size as the battery. Works fine. You could do the same thing with one of those big six volt batteries, a couple alligator clips, a few feet of wire, and a dummy battery.</p><div>00SkD4-115677584.jpg.3d69ac4bf9fd3d0b3741bb028f8d04ba.jpg</div>