Canon 5D split focusing screen for manual lenses

antoniobravo

I recently acquired a Canon 5D, the 1st generation also often named "Classic".

I use only manual lenses and this is a perfect body for the purpose.

That said the focusing screen is not the best. I can focus better on a plain ground glass like on the Zenit-3/3M/V ....

Actually on 35mm SLR my favorite focusing screen is the one of the Start (I have two, 1963 models, it's also my favorite SLR), with a big horizontally split circle. Seen from the camera of my Blackberry Keyone:

1aeM6v1.jpg

well I know it's not possible to have something similar on a DSLR but I am willing to try on the 5D something else than the default Ee-A.

Of course i have read all the good words about the Ee-S, which is reported being very nice for lenses up to f2.8, but very dim going slower.

The manual lenses I use in 50/55mm are f1.7 to f2.0, on 35mm f2.0 but I also use a lot 20mm wider-angle no faster than f3.5 and a couple of zooms at f3.8 or variable f3.8-4.5, so maybe the Ee-S will not be good. I fear a bit too dark, as per reports read here and there.

Only alternative I find are these ones, made by focusingscreen.com from Ec screens:

Focusing Screen

(I did in the past buy from them focusing screens for Pentax DSLR, carved from Canon ones, for manual lenses, with good results)

Just as an experiment I cannibalized the focus screen with microprism collar and split image of an Olympus OM-40 I had in a box, it doesn't fit exactly, should be trimmed in height and is a bit narrower, but sits anyway. Took some shots but found the microprism circle too small. Maybe I am spoiled by the big split circle of the Start :-)...

anyway, very interested in feedbacks and alternatives.

Ee-S is a big improvement. I'd be careful with other screens - no point if they do not actually allow you to reach critical focus, and you will have a collection of failed photos too. The Ee-S is dimmer, but doubt the viewfinder is any dimmer than the Start. Certainly brighter than, or on a par with my vintage SLRs (although they may have lost their original brightness).
Robin Smith

thanks for the advice Robin. So I guess I will get one Ee-S first, they sell for cheap anyway. (on my two Start the viewfinder is clear and the aid focusing split circle is very good.)

Too bad that nobody manufactures photo only cameras like the old 5D. Its 12.8 MP sensor is good but it could be nice to have more of course. I was on Pentax crop-sensor, but everywhere I go I have two bodies, one film (the Start or a Spotmatic or a Zenit), one digital and one set of manual lenses, and the difference crop/FF sizes became more and more annoying. I was thinking to move to a Pentax-K1, as I am (was) very much Pentax, but the K1 is a beast with zillons things I don't need and expensive. So I thought of Canon because flange distance is good for screwing M42/KM39 lenses, and considered a 6D or 5D2 but then I just need for my DSLR to be basically a digital back for my manual lenses, no need for video, audio, wifi, gps, nfc and whatever. And that's the problem: they don't make camera just with better sensors and logics but they pack bells and whistles along. The 5D is not so powerful sensor but very good otherwise. It doesn't even have liveview, I never used liveview on my Pentaxes either and I don't need liveview on my Zenit or Spotmatic :) But a good focusing screen is important.

Edited by antoniobravo