Canon 5D II is step back in time against Canon 7D!

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by wm._reed_lovick, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Has anyone else bought a Canon 7D and then bought a Canon 5D II? I did, and for me it was a step back in time. I immediately sold the Mark II and bought the Mark III.

2. Further… my Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 would not function properly as it does on my 7D. Also the lack of a spring in the Card Slot door drove me crazy. When I called Canon about the Timer Remote Control they were not aware of it's inability to function properly.

3. I hope you are happy with your equipment, for me, using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal! I immediately handed it back shaking my head and bought another 5D2 (of course that was awhile back now).
    The 5D3 (of course) is very nice, but I'm very much less than impressed with it's 'improvement' in IQ and sensor capability, to me it's like Canon's FF engineers took 3yrs off and then were like 'uh we need a 5D3? crap! - here, grab an AF from a 1Dx, a new Digic5+, add an SD slot, toss them in w/ a 'new' 5D2 sensor, and sell it for $1500 more!
    There! Have fun w/ a bunch more rhetoric ;-)

4. Never had a problem with IQ on the 7D unless I was being careless. In fact, it hasn't ceased to amaze me in almost three years now. For IQ, the 5DIII is holding my attention as well. When I couple the 5D3 with my Canon 200 2.8L it's a tack sharp marriage made in Heaven. On the 7D the Canon f4. 24-105 L makes for an amazing tack sharp marriage.
    That's not to say that you were careless, these two cameras have just been really amazing for my need.

5. The 5D3 (of course) is very nice, but I'm very much less than impressed with it's 'improvement' in IQ and sensor capability, to me it's like Canon's FF engineers took 3yrs off and then were like 'uh we need a 5D3? crap! - here, grab an AF from a 1Dx, a new Digic5+, add an SD slot, toss them in w/ a 'new' 5D2 sensor, and sell it for $1500 more!
    There! Have fun w/ a bunch more rhetoric ;-)​
    +1

6. using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal!​
    Got to wonder what you were doing wrong, then...

7. using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal!​

8. using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal!​

9. using the 7D (vs the mk2) was like giving up my pro equipment to play with my 4yr old's digital Rebel... the IQ was abysmal!​

10. Keith…. what I was doing wrong? :)

11. Why to compare two different cameras - 7D can't be 5DII ever!

12. I move between the 7D and MK2, EOS 1n and 7e seamlessly. The camera plays such a very small part in my picture making/creative process I hardly even notice the camera when I'm shooting. Of course there are differences, just not enough to divert my attention away from what I'm trying to photograph in any significant way. I just select the right tool for the job and get on with it. Maybe, as a Canon FD user for decades, I've evolved a way of working that doesn't rely heavily on bleeding edge technology. I don't know. Any camera I have always seems perfectly adequate to me.

13. I find the 1.6X crop cameras a bit limiting. I never liked my 24-70 on on the 1.6X camera, I guess because it acts as a 38 - 112. Once I had the FF sensor I did not look back. The 5D MK 3 has the 7Dish electronics and the FF sensor. The 5DII had the same AF as my old 20D. So I passed on it and sprung for the 5D Mk III. No regrets. They just need a firmware update to allow video to be routed to the SD card and photos to the CF card. So now the 5Dc is my backup camera and the MK III is working out well.

14. Had a 7D sold it and bought a 5D2 and never looked back I have a 1D2N which is all I need for speed and AF...

15. Got to wonder what you were doing wrong, then...​
    I know! I was wondering the same thing - then I found out it was the camera! I think the short answer is that once you get used to fully utilizing a FF camera, any crop is still just a crop. The same (I'm sure) could be said if one were to step up to MF digital...
    Of course I was also (and still am a bit) being glib... ;-) Rhetoric: 3. Loud and confused and empty talk. "mere rhetoric" "Rhetoric" being a very (IMO) apt description of the original post.
    The post struck me as the owner of 2005 Civic buying a 1999 Acura TL, complaining about how 'backwards and antiquated" it is (probably because of the lack of an MP3 line in, and ipod dock), so then returns the TL, and buys a NEW RL - and is like Wow! this is a great car!...

16. The 5DII will always win with the pixel peepers, bigger pixels and more of them. I like different crop factors, which effectively expands your lens collection. I shoot with 1.6 and 1.3 and have never needed anything wider than 17mm on my 1.3, not saying I wouldn't like a 5DII, just don't think I would use it as much, I do a lot of sports stuff which is not its forte. The 7D has lots of customization, I love the custom setting dial (C1-3) dial, wish the 1 series had the one.

17. The post struck me as the owner of 2005 Civic buying a 1999 Acura TL, complaining about how 'backwards and antiquated" it is (probably because of the lack of an MP3 line in, and ipod dock), so then returns the TL, and buys a NEW RL - and is like Wow! this is a great car!...

Not the case at all, but if I had to make the argument, the 5DM3 is everything the 5DM2 is with the "Wow! this is a great car!...

18. I move between the 7D and MK2, EOS 1n and 7e seamlessly. The camera plays such a very small part in my picture making/creative process I hardly even notice the camera when I'm shooting. Of course there are differences, just not enough to divert my attention away from what I'm trying to photograph in any significant way. I just select the right tool for the job and get on with it. Maybe, as a Canon FD user for decades, I've evolved a way of working that doesn't rely heavily on bleeding edge technology. I don't know. Any camera I have always seems perfectly adequate to me.​
    I'm with Louis. I move seamlessly between my 5DII, 50D, and EOS 1V. I still shoot with my F-1's occasionally, and have even started to adapt some of my gorgeous manual focus Nikkor lenses to my 5DII.
    Hell, it's all good. :)

19. I'm kind of like Louis and Mark.
    I move between a 50D, 5DMK2, 1DMK3. Kind of because I think of them as different tools for different purposes just like a carpenter as more than one hammer depending on the job. The all have their qualities and faults. And I'm happy with it all.

20. Keith…. what I was doing wrong? :)
    Not you. Marcus.
    Properly converted and processed, the 7D is capable of entirely fantastic IQ. I'm sick to the back teeth of people bagging on it because they can't figure it out, and based on my (almost) three years' experience of the camera, there's no question whatsoever that that's the problem - user error, pure and simple.

21. IMO the 7D requires higher shutter speeds than my 5D1 to get good pictures. This, I think, is because the sensor shows up camera shake more than other bodies I have had. It takes a little more post work particularly with noise reduction. I get more sports keepers than I have gotten from any other camera and I have been doing sports since 1997. It tracks and focuses exceptionally well. I just shot disabled surfing with it and a 100-400. The closeups are stunning of people having a wonderful time riding and savoring the waves. I got those pictures because of the 1.6 crop factor, 8 frames per second, AI and very sharp focusing. I will be damned if I can tell the difference between the 5D enlargements and the 7D prints after post processing raw images. The color is quite good with either camera. Admittedly the 5D is not a great sports camera but I did a lot of dark, contrasty, indoor swim meets with it because I got usable ISO 3200 prints. As I said, my success rate is better with the 7D. When I got the 7D I had to learn how to use it. I got a lot of help over on DP from a couple of guys who know how to use it. I am now in the process of selling the 5D and getting a 1.6 crop backup. I like full frame but not 3500 bucks worth particularly when it is hard to tell the difference in any large pictures hanging on my walls from two feet away from an old MF Bronica, Canon d60, xti, 5D, a remarkable NEX 5N and several 35mm film cameras, etc.

22. The 5D Mark II was released a couple of years before the 7D. The 7D probably benefitted from user feedback. It has
    more video features, more AF options, etc. But side by side, the 5D2's image quality is superior, which makes perfect
    sense given pixel density.

23. I used my Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 with my 5D, 5DM2, ad 5DM3, G9, G12, G1X with zero problems,
    either the jack was broken or you maybe plugged it into the microphone jack?

In terms of IQ, look at the various reviews, DXOMARK shows a score of 66 for the 7D, 79 for the 5DM2, "In general" the
    noise levels on a full frame sensor are going to be higher with a cropped sensor vs a full frame sensor

In terms of features, the 7D has the advantage, but it was released 2 years after the 5DM2, so that isn't unexpected

24. I've shot with the 5D2 and 7D side by side for 3 years now and they are more alike than different and their individual strengths compliment one another well. No huge adjustments to make in terms of operation. The biggie is the lack of a popup on the 5D2 for remote flash and casual fill. However, if I had to choose one, I'd reach for the 5D2 the larger and more vivid view finder make composing much easier than the small VF in the 7D. Of course 5D2 IQ is a couple levels up in terms of smoothness and noise control. But, yeah, I'd rather have a 5D3 and will probably buy one when the price drifts down another 5 or 6 benjamins.

25. Tudor...
    Yes, the TC-80N3 when pressed will release the shutter, however it will not allow one to focus. You have to touch the body of the camera for that to happen. That's awkward and negates the reason for a remote. If yours does please call Canon and tell them you have the solution. If so, Canon's recall of the TC-80N3 should be a remarkable feat to say the least.
    Also, do you know someone who has made the mistake of plugging a dedicated timer plug into a microphone jack? Send pics. I'd like to see that for myself.

26. I think the 5D2 seems perfectly good. Agencies and magazines have no problem with the quality (just like the 7D) and I've got no problems with the controls, layout or whatever.
    Of course I don't know what you were expecting, but for me, it took it's place among the other Canons I use and never gave it a second thought. Does that mean i wasn't expecting enough?

27. Somehow the amazing fact that one or the other of these cameras was "old fashioned" or inadequate had escaped notice of the myriad professional and amateur photography community.
    I guess now we've been set straight.

28. Like Puppy I have also shot the 7D and 5DII side by side since the 7D came out. Both are good cameras but of the two I pick up the 5DII more than the 7D as I prefer full frame and like the IQ better. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the IQ of the 7D and I have (panning) shots of my middle kid going off a jump in ski racing (super Giant Slalom) at about 120 km/h taken with the 7D and 70-200 F2.8 that are so sharp you can read the text printed on the paper lift pass stuck around his goggle strap.
    Most camera issues in my opinion are generally technique related and while I prefer the 5DIi IQ the 7D is perfectly capable of top quality images so long as you don't push above ISO 1600.

29. I never had a problem with the TC-80N3 triggering autofocus on the 5Dc, 5DMII. I just plugged it into my 5DMIII, the focus worked flawlessly. I manually focused at infinity, half press the button on the TC-80N3, the focus ring turned and focus correctly.

30. 7d & 5D owner here. I think they complement each other well.
    There are things that each can do better than the other and there are
    Things that both can do equally well. Photographers should learn to use their equipment properly know its strength and
    weeknesses and use them accordingly.
    Ansel Adams would still turn out good work with Canon Rebel.
    Just because someone like ME can't does not mean Rebel is toy.
    Here is link to an image that either camera is capable of producing IMHO exellent results.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66076332@N00/5265417026

31. Hyperbole alert!
    5D2 is a bit older than the 7D and each is/was optimized for slightly different things, but both are fine cameras and both are, in the grand scheme, quite modern and quite effective at what they do.
    Dan

32. I owned a 7D and a 5D MkII at the same time and found both to be very good bodies. I used the 7D for birds and wildlife (around 8000 shots per month) and the 5D MkII for everything else, like night street shooting, landscapes, portraits, travel, etc. I carried the 7D with my 500/f4 and the 5D2 with my 70-200mm/f4.
    I bought the 5D MkIII soon after it came out and it's become my primary bird and nature camera because of its exceptionally fast and accurate AF system, combined with decent fps. The 7D now carries the 70-200mm and I'm looking for the money to upgrade to the 600/f4-II and the Series III TCs. The AF system on the 5D3 is a huge step forward from the MkII and enough better than the 7D that it's almost tripled my "keeper rate" for things like birds in flight.
    In focal-length limited situations, in decent light, the 7D can deliver exceptional IQ compared to either the 5D MkII or the MkIII. The FF bodies beat the 7D in really low light and/or when no cropping is required. If your IQ with the 7D isn't very good, then you're probably doing something wrong in your Raw conversion.

33. I'm glad I came across this recent post.
    Many of you have both the 7D and 5D Mark II - I plan to upgrade from my 40D, which has been giving me shutter problems as of late (sticking which causes potentially good shots to get blurred, among other issues - and it's been repaired twice before in the past 3 years), and needs to get repaired. It's been a few years since I've upgraded, so it is time.
    I mainly shoot sports - rugby to be exact (and also landscape, group shots at party events, and some macro stuff on occasion), so which of the 2 will fit the bill best? I use a 100-400 4-5.6, 70-200 2.8 and also the 24-70, and 17-40 too (and a 580 EX flash). I do like that both bodies are weather resistant, since I've shot matches in rain and snow here in Chicago many a time, so would like something sturdy. Plus I can use my CF cards without having to switch to a new card format on the 60D.
    I know there is no crop factor on either of these, which is ok. But I'm also hearing the 7D has some noise involved in the images? is it that obvious?
    the 5D MkIII is out of the price range, so I'm thinking to spend under $2K, which both camera bodies will fit in the price range.
    Sheryl

34. I don't think I would use either one in the rain,they are as you say weather resistent not waterproof.

35. Sheryl, given that you need to stay under $2,000 and sports is your main usage, then I think that the 7D is the way to go for you. If you want to get the max fps out of the 7D, you'll need new CF cards, so budget around $130 for a 32GB UMDA7 card.
    I own the 7D and the 5D MkIII and formerly owned a MkII. If budget were not a concern, then I'd recommend the 5D MkIII for its superior AF (faster and more accurate and more flexible).

36. Sheryl, you said "I know there is no crop factor on either of these" but if you're referring to the 7D it is an APS-C sensor so there's a crop factor of 1.6--just like you're 40D.
    I've never used a 5D (any variant), but my understanding is that the weather sealing is a bit better on the 7D than on the 5DII. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    If sports photography is your biggest need, then you'll love the 7D. It's great for that and it works very well for your other uses, too (landscape, group shouts and some macro stuff). If you're primary use was landscapes, portraits or low light interiors, then you might be better served with the 5DII.

37. thank you all for your help. I've bit the bullet and got the 7D - the 8fps was one of the deal cinchers, since rugby is all about speed. I'm excited to get some new gear. Have an 8GB UDMA card already, but am getting a 16 GB too.
    been a while since I've shot in full frame (when I was shooting film), so it'll be a slight learning curve to get back into that groove.
    Sheryl

38. Congrats Sheryl.
    If you haven't already ordered your CF cards, look here for a comparison:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10294
    Going from FF to crop and back is a non-issue, so long as you've got the right lenses. Your list seems to cover both. Coming from a 40D you'll mainly notice how fast the 7D is.
    My main gripe against the 7D is against is loose AF accuracy. If you want a player's eyes in focus, then you'd darn well better focus on the eyes. The AI Servo-mode is fast compared to the 40D, but just doesn't keep up compared to the 5D MkIII or the 1D MkIV. You can overcome that by being constantly on your toes about AF and using single or small number of AF points.

39. I recently bought a 5dmkii to complement my 7d for weddings and other evernts. I love having the extra reach with my 70-200 on the crop sensor, and use my 7d over my 5d to shoot birds and wildlife. The 5d comes in when I need to shoot people or landscapes. I have the 5dii, 7d, 70-200 2.8 ii, 16-35 2.8 ii and the 50mm 1.4 and this collection is everything I need every time. I need ultrawide? 16-35 on 5d. Standard zoom? throw it on the 7d. need a lil more tele action at the ceremony? 7d with 70-200 (allowing ultrawide shots of the church at the same time). I need that amazing bokeh and super high quality portrait? 70-200 on the 5d. Oh you're looking for the creamiest bokeh, why not throw that 50 1.4 on the 5d haha. I had the opportunity to buy a 5diii and one lens, but I'm ridiculously glad I went with 2 lenses and a 5dii. I also have to mention I have no image quality problems with the 7d whatsoever.
    Obviously I would have loved to get a 5diii and 2 lenses, but it just wasn't in the cards!

40. Of course there have been improvements. There will always be improvements, but the 5D series blew the lid off full-frame digital at an affordable price.
    The 5D II is going for some incredibly good prices now, if anyone cares about image quality/$--especially in the dark with plenty of megapixels. The original 5D is also going for some good prices used as well, if 12 mp is enough for one's purposes.
    Real estate has its mantra: location, location, location.
    Photography has a different one: image quality, image quality, image quality. If you can't tell the difference, no one can show it to you.
    --Lannie

41. Not you. Marcus.
    Properly converted and processed, the 7D is capable of entirely fantastic IQ. I'm sick to the back teeth of people bagging on it because they can't figure it out, and based on my (almost) three years' experience of the camera, there's no question whatsoever that that's the problem - user error, pure and simple.​
    Ever think about posting some instructions somewhere on how to get this "entirely fantastic IQ"? Spare your back teeth and take a break from your one man crusade.

42. It really isn't hard to get good IQ out of your 7d, there are no secret instructions on how to attain it. If you know how to use your camera, you'll get good IQ. Simple as that

43. Its intersting and somehow amusing that people can get so wound up about camera formats.
    IQ is importand but what matters is the person behind the Camera,
    I use a 5D2 and could find very little difference in sharpness, colour and definition between it and the 60D which has what appears to be the same sensor as the 7D up to 1600 ISO.
    Its only in low light and slight improvement in Bokeh in fast lenses that the 5D2 is superior.
    It was also something of a surprise to find the new Canon G1X compact is so comparable to the 5D2 and 60D. I believe the G1X has a similar if slightly smaller 14mp sensor than the 60D/7D. I now travel with 5D2 and G1X as a lightweight alternative and can get good results with either.