Canon 35mm f3.5

johnny_tsang

<p>I don't think Canon made a 35mm f3.5 in the FD version. The f2.0 was very good wide open and outstanding when stopped down, whereas the f2.8 model was pretty poor wide open, but when stopped down did much better. However, it also exhibited a fair amount of vignetting at all aperures and slightly more flare than the f2.0 model.</p>

<p>Canon Museum lists four variations of breechlock FD 35/3.5, all are 6 element / 6 group optics. Later versions had a smaller minimum aperture (f/22 vs 16) but also one less diaphragm blade (5 vs 6). They shared a common 55mm filter size. In New FD there's no listing. I'd think this lens would be a very good performer at least, a "sleeper" in that it's not a difficult design to do a good job with...</p>

<p>I have two chrome front and two black front FD versions of this lens. I just looked at one of the black front CS lenses. It has the tab on the focusing ring for the CAT flash system but does not have the aperture lock mechanism at the rear. It's possible that some of these lenses did have that lock. I don't use the 35/3.5 FD lenses very often but they seem fine when I do. </p>

<p>The 35/3.5 was the first lens I bought for my F1n. I was a little underwhelmed, but I only paid a dollar for it, so my disappointment was a minor one. I gave it to a friend, and then I bought an old 35/2 concave lens, which was much better. One of the local camera shops here is selling an FTB with a concave 35/2 attached for only $130, I'm very tempted to pick it up.</p>