Canon 2x Teleconverter (or) 100 - 400mm f5.6L IS Lens

sreegraphy

<p>I've 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens and wondering whether the quality of the image with 2x converter would be the same when compared to the output of 100-400mm f5.6 L Anyone has extensively tested the outcome with 2x TC. Pl let me know both pros and cons if any. Thanx in advance for your time.</p>

<p>This topic has been discussed many times before, and some people will swear by the 2X mounted on 70-200 f2.8 (as being optically very good).</p>

<p>I do not have the 70-200 F2.8, but I do have the 2X (which I use with the 300mm F2.8 prime), and the 100-400mm. The 100-400mm is an excellent lens, very sharp. The 2X however degrades the image quite a bit, especially when the light is not perfect. I only use it when there is enough light and the conditions are perfect. Otherwise the photos taken with the 100-400mm (cropped accordingly) are much better.</p>

<p>I have only had the 2X extender since Christmas and I've only used it a few times, but I haven;y found it to be as bad as many people have said it is.</p>

<p>I have the 70-200mm f2.8L IS, which I got last summer. I traded my 100-400 towards it. I got the 2X to help replace it and so far I think it's a good replacement.</p>

<p>Ed</p><div>00Vw6U-226667684.JPG.05b018c78076bfba2fc09b42c7b522c5.JPG</div>

<p>This thread may be of interest to you:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00SH1K">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00SH1K</a></p>

<p>I agree with Ed. Canon's 2x extender is excellent and the only device I have ever used that doesn't seem to compromise IQ like other TCs, especially when used on the 70-200mm. I have even tested the 2X with the 100-400mm with very positive results.</p>

<p>Most who put down Canon's extender have never used it - I highly recommend it as an excellent alternative to those who don't have the funds to purchase the 100-400mm. While it is not exactly equal in IQ or convenience to the 100-400mm, the 2x extender is a very affordable option that give excellent IQ and AF when used with Canon's 70-200mm f2.8 lens.</p>

<p>Sreehari:</p>

<p>The 100-400 will be sharper, have higher contrast, and focus faster than the 70-200/2.8.</p>

<p>That said, you may find that using a 2x suits your needs. Buy one used, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for almost what you paid. Or, rent one for a week. They're fairly cheap to rent.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p><strong><em>"I've 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens and wondering whether the quality of the image with 2x converter would be the same when compared to the output of 100-400mm f5.6 L"</em></strong><br>

<br>

As you already have the EF70 to 200F/2.8L IS USM, I assume that one reason for asking this question is you are considering buying the 100 to 400. If this is so, then I think the first question to ask “<strong ><em >how often will you use FL 200mm to 400mm and under what conditions will you be shooting and for what purposes the images are to be used.”</em></strong><br>

<br>

The reason I advise to think this way, is because the "difference" might be acceptable, or not to you - as decided upon the above.<br>

<br>

That said and in answer to your question: Yes, I have made extensive tests of the 70 to 200F/2.8L USM with the both the x1.4MkII and the x2.0MkII individually attached. (yes and I have played with the teleconverters, stacked also).<br>

<br>

I have used the 100 to 400. I did not buy this lens mainly for two reasons<br>

> It is too slow<br>

> It is too soft from about 300mm to 400mm, used wide open.<br>

<br>

So therefore I have NOT made direct A/B comparison tests with the 100 to 400.<br>

<br>

My bottom line is that the EF70 to 200F/2.8L USM + 2.0MkII is capable of providing professional & publishable results, here are some: <br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=944717">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=944717</a><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/9193632">http://www.photo.net/photo/9193632</a><br>

<br>

It seems (by most lab tests) to be only an insignificant IQ difference (in theory) between my 70 to 200 and your IS model - so I expect that your lens could do the same with the x2.0MkII Teleconverter.</p>

<p>WW<br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<div>00VwMl-226877584.jpg.353c915e8200432998a4dc648c028aec.jpg</div>

<p><em>"Some time back 'luminous-landscape.com' tested this </em><strong><em>exact</em></strong><em> combination."</em><br /><br />Luminous-Landscape tested the same lenses, <em>but LL did <strong>NOT</strong> use the x2.0MkII Teleconverter. </em>I think that is a significant point to mention.<em> </em><br /><em></em><br />Although not stipulated in the OP's question, I think it safe to assume that the EF2.0MkII Teleconverter would be used, nowadays. <br /><br />Noted that LL intended to later test the <strong><em>exact</em></strong> combination - I do not believe they have. <br /><br />LL have tested the x2.0 Teleconverter against the x2.0MkII Teleconverter, both using the EF300F/2.8L IS USM. <br /><br />My interpreation of LL's conclusions, of the teleconverter A/B test, although noted that there was IQ improvement with the MkII model, the LL tester remains biased to anti teleconverters - and therefore remaind disappointed with the 2.0MkII's performance, in any case its application; consideration of circumstance; purpose and final of use the image.<br /><br />WW</p>

<p>In the first pair of images there is about x4 enlargement a little less actually - ALSO this is full wide frame of the original.<br>

<br />The second pair is about x9 enlargement - perhaps a bit more. - AND the top image of this pair is a crop of the original frame. about 2/3 of the original.<br>

<br />Go to the links I provided, these images in the portfolio are larger files than posted here.</p>

<p>The picture (Moonset) is is softer light - which has an impact too - and you can determine that the worst fall off is at the edges.</p>

<p>"World Record" is low light indoors for another comparison under adverse conditions and an "inferior" camera - this is a situation where a 400/f2.8L and a 1Series at ISO3200 is standard use.<br /><br>

WW</p>