Cameras in Movies +Additional

Cameras in Movies +

In older movies the standard camera used to denote a professional photographer was usually a 4x5, most often a Graflex.

Here is ‘Scotty’ (Douglas Spencer) with a ‘baby’ Graphic from the 1951 movie <i>The Thing (from another World)</i>:

1667492733_01Thingscotty2.thumb.jpg.026bbb33520b434f9d0c8f03fb154a1c.jpg

The camera and a press card in the hat band held for a long time, but real-life professionals increasingly moved to miniature (35mm) cameras.

In those times, movies chose Nikon F cameras, usually even the Photomic versions to mark photographer, or even serious amateur, status.

Here is Katy (Karen Allen) in the 1978 <i>Animal House</i> at the homecoming parade/riot tine her Photomic.

240538311_AnimalHouseNikon1.thumb.jpg.ba382a2ce916724bbffd1bfeac62d77d.jpg

Dennis Hopper’s character (“photojournalist”) in <i>Apocalypse Now</> (1979) sports as many as three Nikon Fs (two of them black with appropriate brassing, and all with prism heads) at a time. I think one of his lenses is the classic Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5. Although he begs “Don’t leave without me”, they do. I wonder how he kept his film from being affected by the heat and humidity.

1662567933_ANNikons2Imanamerican.thumb.jpg.96b8497cdcc24e690cf938bbb5b62f57.jpg

“I’m an American”

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

In the <i>Superman</i> series of 1978-83, Jimmy Olsen (Marc McClure) uses a Nikon F, but in another film, he had switched to a Pentax.

1243014891_SupermanOlsen-Nikon-F-SM1.jpg.acc4362170f2c60498f186d7b3a37cbe.jpg

In <i>Full Metal Jacket</i> 1987 Kevyn Major Howard (Rafterman-“Hey Joker, we ought to put you up for the congressional medal of... ugly! Ha-ha!” ) is enthusiastic in his use of his Nikons. Is that another 105mm f/2.5 on the Pentomic F?

1009729162_FMJ-Camera1-02-50.thumb.jpg.448b77fbebcd14f96fc44d69f4d63e64.jpg

To paraphrase:

This is my Nikon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My Nikon is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Nikon is useless. Without my Nikon, I am useless. I must shoot my Nikon true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me.

Go get your popcorn!

• Like 2

Great fun, JDM; thanks for the post! The important factors with multiple loads are twofold; put the post together in the "more options" format, selecting the "Full Image" option as you go, and place the cursor where you want the text or image to appear. The cursor placement dictates spacing before and after images, and text position in relation to images, as well as paragraph breaks, etc. The format can all be edited prior to posting.