Camera Purchase Advice, Please. Online store??

lindsay_gerlach

I have a Rebel Xti, but would like to purchase a 40D. I am a student, and have a not-so-professional budget so I am

trying to get the best I can afford. I found a 40D on 1WAYPHOTO.COM for $499, which I thought was too good to be

true. Is it? With the CPC lens (not so Canon, but close as told by the salesman..ha) it is $599. Should I just wait

until I can purchase the camera and the lens? I have to shoot a wedding this month, and am scrambling to get the

best equipment I can on the budget I've got. The only lens I have is a Canon 18-55mm that came with my Rebel.

Should I trust this retailer? B&H had the 40D body for like close to $800....??

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as I've always found good advice when I come to this site. (which

is why I decided to join) :)

Thanks!

Try B&H in NYC (www.bhphotovideo.com, I believe). We've bought two Leica M6 bodies and two Leica (Summicron, etc) lenses. Bought our 21mm in Paris at the Leica store and they gave us the viewfinder for free. B&H has a rating scale for used equipment. Up to 10 and then "unopened, original box". I bought my M6 body listed as a 9+ and I could not find one mark on it! It has traveled the world with me for my B&W photography. I trust B&H completely and apparently their store on Manhattan has to be seen to be believed! They are run by Hassidic Jews so close on the Sabbath. They are also great for film and paper, although some liquids can't be shipped because of safety reasons.

B&H is first class all the way.