Bye, bye, baby goodbye.

To the few actual Leica owners/users left here, and the even fewer knowledgeable gear

heads who preserved the quirky Leica lore, I bid a genuine thank you for sharing your

images and knowledge with me over the past few years. I learned a lot from all of you.

No weepy, Shakespearian death scene drama from me. Just this in explanation... from that

witty gadfly of the "not so Leica" forum, Tim van der Weert:

"Marc- with all due respect, you can always go to the forum where these folks are now.

Why such a proprietary interest in this one? It seems you're simply making the point of

those of us who dont get it."

"Having lurked or participated in numerous internet forums over the years (Ducati

enthuisiasts, UNC basketball, Leica) there always seem to be a hardcore minority who feel

some privileged status, usually because they were part of the old crowd back when it was

really good etc etc. It all seems rather silly to me, this implied sense of ownership in what

is a public forum. And it seems even sillier, bordering on pathetic, when schisms akin to

religous controversies produce "alternative" forums. Silly, just plain silly. These are

cameras we're discussing, not the nature of God."

Thanks for the invitation to leave Tim. You are right, you don't get it (friendship), and you

never will. You are just that kind of guy.

No one had any privileged or proprietary ownership in this forum. Your layering of other

experiences on this one is the only pathetic thought process in action. Any respect for

others that was demonstrated on this forum was based on either their knowledge or their

images. That is who made up the hard core of this forum that you so despise.

But it is indicative of the spirit of vindictiveness at play here now. It's what happens when

the gang mentality takes hold, with respect and friendship becoming a foreign concept or

a target of ridicule.

In the words of Zinbad the Leica Impaler...

Bye.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc,

I know the endless gray winter weather in and around Detroit (Birmingham) can cause serious mood swings. But say it ain't so. Perhaps you'll change your mind when the robins sing and the Tigers take the field...okay, forget about the Tigers. Stick around. Your POV is informed and reasoned. Besides we need to know what happens next in the great Leica lens, gaffer tape and digital experment.

Best, from a former D-Towner.

You know, here are guys (mostly it seems... maybe some more

women would add balance) typing about a camera system and I

find it mostly fun to read. Now...Marc is saying goodby twice... I

thought once was enough. Get on with life Marc. If you don't like

the room, leave, don't be sophmoric and announce. Just don't

ever show up again. Like a restaurant you don't feel comfortable

in. I for one, find this forum a lot of fun and also see some great

photos and some interesting conversation. After 30 years of ups

and downs in the industry, this is just fun. Bye Bye.

Jim Britt]

www.jimbritphoto.com

Dude, Marc, say it ain't so! Well, I view(ed) you as the consummate pro on the forum willing to share experiences, photos, techniques, and insights. I liked learning more about your use of flash- a feature not well-known it seems for Leica M shooters. Another granite pillar of the forum leaving. Oh well...good luck in future surfing.

Why is everybody being so emotional! Marc: with your talent and professionalism you are head and shoulders over anyone who sets him up as your "critic" in esthetics or in anything.

Having you on our forum is like having Scotty Bowman at your table during the Stanley Cup playoffs.* For pikers like me it's been a privelege to exchange ideas with you and have you look at my pix.

You are leaving us with the Tims (??) and the AZes and the whoever- elses, where with a little time and patience, they end up getting their fingers crushed in the mosh pit at a Kraftwerke Reunion concert, and we can all have a little peace and look at your wonderful photographs.

GEEZ!

*I'm pretending I don't hate the Red Wings for you Marc.

Marc, you and Jay make this forum great. Without you two guys well it might as well be leica ebay for me. Please give it some thought. I hope we still can stay intouch off this forum. Thanks for all your much appreciated shared pics and knowelege.

Marc, you're playing right into their hands! The solution is to ignore them, pay no attention to their idiotic postings, certainly not respond to them. We lost Jay and his expertise because he couldn'r resist the urge to be nasty. He was banned, expelled! You weren't. You're more than welcome to remain, and I hope that perhaps after a brief respite you'll realize that you serve a very useful function here.

In addition to the W/NW posts, the photo criticisms, the discussions of technique and equipment, we have an obligation to pass on what we know to the new Leica photographers, the next generation, and much of what we take for granted can't easily be found in books. Please stay.

Marc, dude !

I second Jake and James (above). Say it ain't so ! This forum would have lost untold amounts of experience and talent if you were not lurking around !

I found out about you in the People Photog forum, about my first wedding shoot and all you have been is HELPFUL or MORE HELPFUL !

We need shooters like you around.....especially in a wild and wacky forum like this one !

Cheers,

Wee-Ming

Marc, you can't leave the few Leica-users remaining here to fight

off the barbarian horde, can you?

Your enthusiasm for photography and the obvious sense of fun

you brought to your wedding work, in particular, have been a

source of encouragement for my own work, and I'll miss that.

Here's hoping things quite down here, and that your departure

will not be permanent!

"All of these losers making melodramatic and precious pronouncements, and somewhere

closeby Jay is laughing his ass off. So am I"

Take care James, if you laugh you ass off there won't be anything left of you.

"Now...Marc is saying goodby twice..."

Huh? What? Twice? When was the first time?

Well... All of us contribute to the mix and interplay to some degree. Some give more and some take more, and some do so with little or no respect. In a decade of moderating a different online forum, I noticed there are those who are "users" of other members. These folks have little or none of that friendly respect that makes for a happy forum. They gain satisfaction through showing up others as fools, and there is almost always a sneer in the tone of their posts.

This is certainly in contrast to friendly kidding or even a bit of abrasiveness from the odd curmudgeon, and leads me to avoid posting anything likely to bring on a sneering response. That is, the "users" inhibit, to some extent, forum traffic from members who don't want to put themselves in a vulnerable position. Some "users" are very knowledgeable and also make valuable contributions while others seem to hang around only for the enjoyment they gain at others' expense.

I've even encountered near-sociopaths who openly acknowledge that other participants are just squiggles on the computer screen and not real people, thus not deserving of any respect or consideration. An extreme case, for sure. I suspect the online experience is more subject to a sense of alienation, resulting in behavior different from face-to-face interaction.

The difficulty in trying to deal with "user" members like that is other members may not recognize the destructiveness, and often a big fuss ensues.

Personlly, I don't enjoy controversy, though disagreement with underlying respect is fine. I'm relatively new in Photo.net, but these observations may be relevant to the current turmoil.

Marc Williams has been one of the people most worthy of the hero icon, as well as being one of the most generous people on this forum. I cannot believe all the negative stuff emanating from some of the people here, it is disgusting and truly bizarre.

I can say that I have been extremely fortunate to have been around during Marc's days here and have learned a lot from him. There is a huge sense of loss now, almost funereal.

Marc, Best Wishes,

Vic

Sorry, the above post of mine now doesn't make much since because the post it answers

has been deleted ??????

Anyway, Jim Brit, your site address is not working or is a false one. Thought you'd like to

know.

Al, there are other places I've already found to share info and pix. This isn't the only game

in town. See you in Miami in May.