Buying Used/Refurb d 810; good idea? advice?

John Di Leo

I am strongly considering updating my d700 to a d810. The new list of the 810 is just too much at $2800, so I am considering a refurb or a used body. The 810 is the only upgrade I am considering, so throwing an 800 or 750 into the mix is not on my radar.

Since this is done online and sight unseen, what advice would you give me regarding what should I look for. Shutter count, I suppose, is a given, but what else? And how many shutter trips are too many? With a shutter lifespan of <200k ish, there's probably a lot of wiggle room. I have always bought new before, so not buying new is terra incognita.

I am looking at BH and KEH and Adorama, esp KEH because of their seemingly generous return and warranty of 180 days, but the 810s exist on ebay also, but is that, Ebay, really a crap shoot in your opinion, something to be avoided? Ultimately, the answer is "you pays your money, you takes your chances," but, how to minimize risk? Appreciate any insight and advice.

PS I have the glass I want, the 16-35, the 24-70 and the 70-200 nikkors plus a couple of primes and a macro--all nikkors. Not a pro, but shooting nikon as serious hobbyist since my Photomic Tn in 1968. TIA

You will possibly get a better price, with wise bidding, on eBay, but for something you can feel you can depend on, I'd say the vendor trio you mention are the reliable places to buy.

If you were going for a second body, that's one thing, but when the camera is going to be your main tool, then you need more assurance. I've bought 100s of cameras on eBay :( and had only a very few disappointments, but all the same, it's a flea market.

KEH sometimes offers bargains better than eBay, and their rating of condition is extremely conservative. "Good" items I've bought from them are usually better than "minty" on Ebay.

Purchased my D810 used at the local camera store two years ago; excellent condition with a little over 2K clicks on it. By now my preferred way of buying used (even without a warranty, I know they are not leaving me hanging in case of a defect). Recently got a high-mileage D800 (120k+ clicks) from the same store at a very good price. Last camera I purchased from ebay was the D700 - from a fine arts photographer that apparently had taken good care of it; IIRC, some 30k+ clicks on that one.

If buying online, I'd go to keh first, adorama and B&H second. Ebay only if, like in my D700 case, I find someone I feel I can trust. But in general, I now avoid ebay (even though they really upped their buyer protection). Another option is the Nikon store that offers refurbished bodies. Makes only sense financially on those days when they offer an additional 10% discount though. If I do use ebay, I stay away from the auction and focus on the "buy it now" offerings, preferably with the additional "make an offer" option.

My D810 had been affected by this service advisory: Service Advisory so check the serial number and your camera to find out if the service had been performed.

Other than the shutter count (not really that important as a replacement shutter isn't all that expensive), I look at the overall condition of the camera as it gives an indication of how well the user cared for it and how heavily it has been used. On my D800, the leatherette is starting to peel at one or two places, so I likely will have to take care of that at some point. Replaced one section on my D700 and it was very easy to do.

Refurbished or used? I've done both and there's no significant difference among them. Just check what you get thoroughly while still within the return period.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

I wonder why you would like to upgrade to a D810 and only D810. It is certainly a fine camera, but IMO it is a rather moderate update from the D800/D800E. Nikon introduced the D800 in 2012 and the D810 update in 2014. Either way, the design is a bit dated and a major upgrade is overdue. I was quite certain that Nikon would introduce an update to the D810 by Photokina in 2016, but obviously that didn't happen.

If you are not in a hurry, I would wait a bit longer for the update to the D810. Even though you won't buy that new model, when others do, prices for the D810 will go further down in the used market. However, at least I have no idea how long that wait will be.

rather moderate update from the D800/D800E

Now that I have both, I have to say that that's probably true on paper. In practice, the D810 feels a lot more refined and responsive.

If you are not in a hurry, I would wait a bit longer for the update to the D810. Even though you won't buy tha

Good advice - if you can wait. Shun expect a D810 successor for Photokina 2016. I expect on for this year (not that I am planning on getting one right away). Whether or not D810 prices will drop may depend a bit on what that successor will look like.

Thank everyone for sage counsel! Esp thanks for the advice re KEH. I've dealt with all three over the years and all have been fine, but it appears that KEH has the best warranty

The 800s and the 810s are very similar in price. I considered the 800e, but thought, even though a minor upgrade, the 810 is just newer and, right now, no significant price break on the 800e. I am not in a particular rush, so can wait a bit--and I still have the D700 which is no slouch--I can wait for a discounted one and if the 810 replacement arises in the interim, so much the better.

Thanks again.

I have had a D800E from the beginning, early enough that there was a major shortage and I had to wait 2 months in 2012 to receive mine. In 2014, Nikon USA loaned me a D810 to review (actually two of them, but the first one was defective electronically). While I found a lot of little refinements, I decided not to upgrade. Moreover, to me 36MP is too many. While I still have the D800E, today I mostly use FX bodies in the 24MP range. However, if used prices are similar and used conditions are similar, I would definitely go for a used D810 instead of D800.

However, now in 2017, I find the entire Multi-CAM 3500 AF module, CF memory card ... out of date. I would expect the next update to use the same Multi-CAM 20000 AF module in the D5 and D500, XQD memory cards (or XQD + SD), 4K video, updated user interface (e.g. the ISO button next to the shutter release) .... While those updates may or may not be important to each individual, I expect a lot of D800/D810 user will upgrade to the next model and hence the used price for the D800 and D810 will come further down.

Meanwhile, life is short, Whether it pays off to wait a few more months to another year or two so that you can potentially save a few hundred dollars and/or get improved features is totally up to you to decide for yourself.

• Like 2

I found the 810 to be a *very* good upgrade from the 800, really what the 800 should have been all along. For example, there is something about the NEF files from it that are hard to replicate with another body. The way the tones stay natural and yet vibrant when you work with them in post makes the 800 and the 750 look like a lesser camera by a good margin. This is something you can't get by doing some weekend review, you have to put thousands of frames into it over time, really push the equipment like it was designed to be pushed.

As far as MP count goes, I get a ton of requests now for very high res imagery, so while 24MP on my Leica M240 and D750 do a good enough job for many things, the D810 and my Hasselblad CFV50c back take it to another level. I don't think anything about the D810 is out of date except for not having live view AF fine tune adjustments like the D5. I am going to wait to see what Nikon brings with the 900 but to be honest, I am shooting a lot more film now for work anyway so it might be something I pass on.

Get the 810, it is a better camera than 90% of the people who use it anyway, it will last you awhile and be a phenomenal step up from the D700.

Edited by DB_Gallery

Given a choice, the D810 is a better camera than a D800e. Among other things, it has no anti-aliasing filter, while the D800e has two - one to reduce aliasing and the second to reverse some of the effects of the first. The D810 also has one of the widest dynamic ranges.

When the first batch of D810 "refirb" cameras became available and used D800s were still selling for decent $, I flipped my D800 and managed to go to the D810 for not a lot of extra money. Well worth it! On paper, there is not much spec difference, but I am pretty sure that I get more keepers due to slightly better AF, the 36MP files are very revealing of slight AF errors. I am pretty sure that auto white balance is a little better, also. So, as of right now, the D810 still has the best Nikon sensor, wrapped in an excellent package of support functions. I have had 0 issues with my refirb, after quite a bit of use.

One other good thing for you, the controls on your D700 are similar enough to the D810 such that you can use both cameras at the same time without too much difficulty.

"

One other good thing for you, the controls on your D700 are similar enough to the D810 such that you can use both cameras at the same time without too much difficulty."

right, that was in the decision tree.

two things I wish it- the d810- had:

articulating screen---I have a Sony rx100 II and use the screen a lot

Live view focusing zoomed in--or does it have that?

[quote=John Di Leo, post: 5558154,

I am strongly considering updating my d700 to a d810. The new list of the 810 is just too much at $2800, so I am considering a refurb or a used body. The 810 is the only upgrade I am considering, so throwing an 800 or 750 into the mix is not on my radar.

Since this is done online and sight unseen, what advice would you give me regarding what should I look for. Shutter count, I suppose, is a given, but what else? And how many shutter trips are too many? With a shutter lifespan of <200k ish, there's probably a lot of wiggle room. I have always bought new before, so not buying new is terra incognita.

I am looking at BH and KEH and Adorama, esp KEH because of their seemingly generous return and warranty of 180 days, but the 810s exist on ebay also, but is that, Ebay, really a crap shoot in your opinion, something to be avoided? Ultimately, the answer is "you pays your money, you takes your chances," but, how to minimize risk? Appreciate any insight and advice.

PS I have the glass I want, the 16-35, the 24-70 and the 70-200 nikkors plus a couple of primes and a macro--all nikkors. Not a pro, but shooting nikon as serious hobbyist since my Photomic Tn in 1968. TIA

member: 5367701]I am strongly considering updating my d700 to a d810. The new list of the 810 is just too much at $2800, so I am considering a refurb or a used body. The 810 is the only upgrade I am considering, so throwing an 800 or 750 into the mix is not on my radar.

A refurbished D800e body @ Nikon USA online is priced as much as a new D810 + extras...such an offer makes no sense for a buyer shopping for an FX DSLR. I'd be happy if Nikon were to discount refurbished D800e then it would interest me.

(I have two that I bought new)

Nikon USA online

That Nikon USA tries to sell refurbished units for prices higher than what adorama or B&H charge for new ones is nothing new. Adorama currently offers refurbished Df with 50mm lens for $1800 when Nikon USA charges $2300 for the body alone. On the other hand, sometimes they run discounts that appear almost to good to be true. Earlier this year there was a discount on refurbished AF-S 80-400 lenses, $400 discount brought the price down to $1500!

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

Over the past dozen years I've bought thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of used camera gear on ebay, from all over the world (except Africa.) I've never had a problem. As for Nikon, I've shot with both (mostly weddings) with both D800E and D810. My plan is to entirely skip the D810 and look for a used whatever replaces D810. I've always considered Adorama/KEH/etc. a bit high for used gear. I buy from private individuals on ebay who have at least 50 good feedbacks. Never ever had a problem.

Kent in SD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

John, You don't say what subjects you're shooting. My answer to questions of upgrading starts with, "What would Ansel or Weegie do?" Now, I know that these two great photographers didn't do a lot of action shots, so all the "golly gee whiz" stuff comes into play for those.

I still use my Wista DXII for landscape, nature, and architectural photography because it makes me focus on the subject. I'd defy anyone to find better prints of Florida's scenery than Clyde Butcher does with his large format cameras. I've even taken my Wista DXII with a 6x9 roll film back to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World for some great shots.

Having said that, I do stitch together HDR panoramas taken with my D700 or D800 and Gigapan EPIC Pro.

So, the search continues...I am looking at Ebay, as well as KEH, BH, Ado, and a question arises.

Regarding the shutter count... though I know this d810's shutter may have a MTBF of a couple of hundred thousand clicks, I am looking at those counts under 10k, mostly.

What about a camera that has a low count, but has had the shutter replaced?

Emotionally, I feel that suggests "damaged goods," and at a 2k price, is it worth the risk of emotional "other things happening" on a body out of warranty. The other side, the unemotional side, of the coin is "this is a brand new shutter, so, it's better than taking a chance on one that this hasn't happened, but may in the future."

Would a used camera, that has had work, such as a shutter replacement, rule that camera out for consideration or decrease its value in your eyes as a potential purchase? All else as equal as possible in a used camera, would the camera with the shutter replacement be down the list for consideration?

The other question is: Is there a way to get the service history and date of registration from the serial number?

On those on which I can see the serial number, I am running the number through this site

Service Advisory

but is there a reliable way to get more info?

kmcgrew asked

"John, You don't say what subjects you're shooting"

lots...landscapes on/off a tripod/beanbag/handheld, family portraits, snapshots, street both daytime and night, occ astro, occ timelapse, macro, interior and exterior architectural. The d700 has been a great camera, but the d810 is that and so much more esp low light and to a lesser, but important, extent enlargement. Also, I carry the camera on the back of a motorcycle for long distance travel stuff in obscure places to it has to be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it. Thanks to all here for the advice, I followed every suggestion of places to check, but wound up going with buydig.com, a refurb model. Hope I did enough due diligence checking out buydig, but it's ratings and reports were just as good as others, and really saw nothing negative here. Fingers crossed.

Couldn't wait for Photokina, going to the eclipse in August and a big ride in Sept. Just hope all goes smoothly with buydig delivery and my model of the 810.

I did it.

Congratulations.

To answer your question re: shutter replacement. Talked to a Nikon Service Technician at Nikon's Service and Repair Center in Los Angeles about that today. He said that many come in and ask for a shutter replacement when their cameras hit the MTBF mark. He always advises against a replacement if the shutter hasn't actually failed - there's simply no guarantee that the new one won't fail with a relatively low shutter count and there's also no telling if the old one would have last many many more clicks (he mentioned that they have seen 800K clicks on D800-Series bodies and those shutters were still doing fine). While shutter count certainly should reflect in the price of used cameras, I have pretty much stopped worrying about the actual number. If the shutter fails, then the repair isn't all that costly and in many cases, one wants to upgrade to a newer model then anyway.

• Like 1

I did it. Thanks to all here for the advice, I followed every suggestion of places to check, but wound up going with buydig.com, a refurb model. Hope I did enough due diligence checking out buydig, but it's ratings and reports were just as good as others, and really saw nothing negative here. Fingers crossed.

Couldn't wait for Photokina, going to the eclipse in August and a big ride in Sept. Just hope all goes smoothly with buydig delivery and my model of the 810.

How much did you pay for it?

My two cents. I'd pass on a used or demo camera from stores like KEH, Adorama, Roberts, etc. Unless it is a factory (Nikon) refebished camera with a full new warranty as if it were new. In some cases you could even wind up with a better body. If I were not purchasing new my next choice would be a refurbished body from Nikon directly.