Buying my First Speedlite

dan_spellman

<p>Hey guys. Sorry to post something so vauge but I feel pretty lost... my only "experience" with flashes are the 2 I got randomly from second hand stores. None of these work with my neo 500D though (and they suck anyway) so I think it's time I buy one.<br>

The only two features I *know* Id need are being able to have the flash off camera, and being able to have it fire very fast (for freezing water droplets for example). Would this require a rather expensive flash? Ideally I'd only want to spend a few hundred, but I'd probably be willing to save up further if necessary.</p>

<p>By the way...what actually classified a flash as a speedlite? ^_^;</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for your input!</p>

<p>If you are willing to put in the work required to understand how this all works, that knowledge will pay you back later. You don't need to spend a lot of cash to do this, and in fact if you are willing to learn how triggering works, you could do a lot, especially with non-Canon flashes. However, you need to be honest in your reply, since learning this by yourself without a helpful mentor can be an upwater swim.<br>

Are you using a Canon camera? The easy (though more expensive) way to do this is to use Canon's optical triggering system, and if you do that you retain ETTL metering, and you don't need to buy extra triggering devices or extra trigger cables. If you don't want to put in the effort this is the easy way out. It gets you going quickly so you can focus on the most important issue of creative thinking.<br>

Regardless, go to the s-t-r-o-b-i-s-t website and do the free lighting seminar series, 101. <br /> <br /> Dave</p>

<p>Daniel,</p>

<p>I 100% agree with Dave, go to the Strobist website. For less than $50 you can do all you want with the flashes you have, all will be explained and demonstrated over there.</p>

<p>Don't get sidetracked and don't buy anything other than cables and hotshoe triggers, learn with what you have, find out what it can't do for you (very little) and buy stuff when you need to.</p>

<p>Have fun, Scott.</p>

<p>My camera is indeed a Canon 500D. My flash is a Vivitar 2600, I dont think its power can be adjusted (on manual it just fires at maximum power).<br>

So it sounds like I would still need to buy a new flash (so that I have the ability to adjust power settings), then get cables and hotshoe triggers for the off-camera shooting? Sorry I did watch the strobist vid but still sort of lost..</p>

<p>I have the canon 430 EX II and a sunpak and vivitar 285.<br>

For on camera I love the 430, give nice fill and the camera and the flash talk the same lingo. <br>

Off camera via radio triggers the Vivitar and Sunpak work great. <br>

So if you are looking to use it on Camera I would say stick with Canon.<br>

If you are looking into off camera I really like the power and control of the Vivitar.<br>

Once I got the flash off camera a whole new photography world opened up to me. Its great fun playing with light off camera and the number of different ways a person can light the same subject.</p>