Burke and James 8X10

khoa_nguyen3

Khoa,

One place to look for "valuations" of your gear might be the following:

1. Jim at Midwest Photo http://www.mpex.com

2. Jeff at Badger Graphics http://www.Badgergraphic.com

3. Ebay - Here's an example (Item number: 290059969193) - It sold for $299 but it came

with a 4x5 reducing back and is described as being in "very good condition."

For what you're going to get for it... you might just as well keep it and go shoot some pics

with it! Or, at least, that's what I'd do! :)

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I picked one up a few weeks ago cheap, but it needs some work, however for the $120 I paid, it will be an interesting project. The bellows is in fine shape, the extension rail and removeable tripod mount are with the camera and it came with a 4x5 graflex back (no glass/unmounted), no lensboard and a whole bunch of expired film 10+ yrs old of Kodak E6 stuff. Should I even bother to test a sheet?

I think I will tackle the job to refinish this camera after reading the below article of a B&J refinish.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/burke-james/restore8x10.html

Some idiot covered the entire camera with gaffers tape years ago.

No ground glass (purchased waiting to arrive)

The two front standard adjustment screws are loose and the studs pull out, so cannot tighten. Question: Can you recommend best way to reattach? Epoxy? Take a hammer to the studs?

I'm hesitant to strip the gray paint to expose the natural wood grain as then it becomes a refinish and not a restoration. On my antique bamboo fly rods, I would never do a refinish as it kills the value. Any opinions?

• 1 year later...

I refinished mine after reading Kevin's article also. It's now a beauty. I don't feel I reduced

the value, it was from the Air Force and covered in 3-4 layers of grey paint. But to my

surprise, under it all is some beautiful wood. There's oak, and maple, and some cherry.

Not all matched up, like a D'orff, but so what? I took my time stripping it, and used the citrus

stripper. It works very well and causes one to take his time. Then when it was sanded and

dried, I applied 4 coats of tung oil and reassembled. I used a drop of wood glue when I

reinserted the screws. It's lovely. And very solid. Heavy and clunky, but lovely. A little

steel wool on the focus rails finished it up. I'd say go for it, it's fun. As to your original

query, I got mine for $300 with 2 reducing backs.

• 7 months later...

<p>i just got one for US$250. it's in very good condition - bellows too, but of course all covered in grey paint. i may restore it but am concerned about doing that while keeping the bellows intact. it is perfectly usable as it is.</p>

<p>photo here -