British Ranelagh folding camera

<p>Sorry for the cross posting, already asked this question in the medium format forums, should've put it here first anyway! hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.<br>

I picked this very old looking folding camera up the other day, minimal markings or functions - looks like it could be a fixed focus 6x9 folding camera, by the lens is has "British Ranelagh" on it.<br />Having googled this inside out, I can find nothing on this camera - anyone ever heard of this or have any suggestions? I'm at work just now, so I can't provide much more info/pictures, will try and post some photo's of it soon.<br>

<br />Thanks,<br /><br>

Craig.</p>

<p>At a guess I would say it was made by the Coronet Camera Co of Birminham UK. Coronet made a huge selecion of cameras from 1926 to 1967 almost all of them were simple designs and the shutter with T, I at the top is typical of their simple box and folder cameras. They also tended to give their products up-market-sounding names lke Ambassador, Consul or Viscount and 'Ranelagh' is a name associated with the Anglo-Irish aristocracy. But sadly classiness did not extend to the cameras themselves which were very basic .Some have no name at all. Coronet also made 'fun' cameras such as the coloured 'Midget' cameras and the snazzy bakelite designs like the 'Vogue'. So probably 1930's, made in Birmingham UK by Coronet would be my guess.</p>

<p>That's about as basic as you can make a folding camera! One shutter speed, no aperture, certainly a one-element lens, and not even imitation leather on the body. I'm sure the bellows are synthetic also, not real leather.<br>

It would be fun to use, but a plastic single-use camera takes sharper pictures.</p>

<p>Actually the bellows look to be in good condition, but one of the supports struts is broken/missing and the metal plate the lens attaches to is a bit bent/thin so I doubt if it ever had much focus to speak of, probably relied on the fact the 6x9 contact prints would be all it have to achieve. Haven't had the chance to get the bellows into a dark cupboard with a torch yet.<br>

I'm intending selling it on the big auction site, as I have 6 folders in my possession just now and I never intended becoming a collector! I was hoping to find out a bit more about it to give a bit of background for the buyers.<br>

As to pronouncing the name, I've heard that the London way is "Ran - lay"</p>