Black and white film

I'm interested in using black and white films. Are there 2 different

kind of black and white film? I heard one type is the type where you

can develope it in a Minilab just like a color print. I heard there

is a different kind that is "real" black and white film. And those

you can print your pics in a home darkroom relative easily. Can

someone explain?

What is a good place to buy those specialized films such as real

slow ones like ISO 25. I don't see them in any stores.

Also, where can I buy the chemicals needed for processing and the

other equipments I need, such as an enlarger. Speaking of which,

what is a good brand and what price range are they in? I heard they

are expensive.

Yes, you have "real" black & white film where the image on the negative is made from microscopic grains of silver, and "chromogenic" films which are like color films, except they only have one black color layer, instead of red, green, and blue, and the image is made from dye clouds where the silver in the film has been bleached away. Chromogenic films are easy to detect - they mention "process C-41", the process used for color negative film, and can indeed be processed at your local minilab, although the minilab may have problems printing the resulting negatives if their equipment is not calibrated for it.

<p>

There aren't that many chromogenic films. Ilford XP2 Super and Kodak T400CN are about it. Chromogenic films are convenient, and scan well, but do not have the durability and contrast of true black & white films.

<p>

There aren't many ISO 25 films left. Agfa discontinued APX25 a few years ago, Kodak is discontinuing Tech Pan at the end of the year. Pretty much the only left is Efke 25, but I haven't shot any of it yet. One substitute is Ilford Pan F Plus 50 (ISO 50). You can find these, and many others at specialized photo shops, there will be a few in any major metropolitan area, otherwise you can mail order from the NYC shops like B&H, as well as the processing chemicals.

<p>

Before you buy an enlarger, rent some time in a darkroom to see if it is your cup of tea. So many people are getting rid of theirs that the best place to buy is eBay. I paid $50 for a Durst M601 with lens, and Leica Focomats are also highly rated. See Dante Stella's <a href="http://www.dantestella.com/technical/guerilla.html">pages on the guerrila darkroom</a> for more details.

"Are there 2 different kind of black and white film?"

Yes there are. One type is traditional black and white film such as Tmax 100 and Tri-x and the other type is C-41 b&w films.

Traditional b&w films are better in my opinion but it really depends on the individual. I would recommend Tmax 100 for slow film and Tmax 3200 for fast film.

Good luck

Fazal, you are telling me in the future there wouldn't be any ISO 25 films? So how else would we get high quality large prints!? It's only 2004! :(

I can understand if the manufacturers want to DECREASE production, and at the time raise the price a little, but DISCONTINUING is uncalled for.

There is one type of B&W film ... The one you like. Buy several and experiment. You'll settle in one or two that work for your kind of shooting.

Remember, you can always shoot a film one or two stops above or below its normal exposure and still make it work with push/pull processing and post-processing Photoshop. So, just be comfortable with what you're doing and SHOOT AWAY.

PS: I like Ilford Pan F+, ISO 50.

>Yes there are two types of B&W film,the dis-continued kind,and the soon >to be dis-continued kind.

I do not agree with that, I actually think that color films will disappear before B&W ones... I shoot color with a DSLR and B&W with an old Canon AE-1 (manual focus, a real joy to use)

I never bought a color film.