Big Sur monitor calibration issues

Hi,

I am using Spyder 5 elite to calibrate my monitor with the white point set at 6500K. Yet the whites seem to be more orange than anything. I noticed this immediately after updating to Big Sur.

I compared it by using Apple's built-in calibration utility and there is a clear difference between their version of 6500K and Spyder's. Is there something I am missing or is this all in my head?

No issues on this end although I'm using a far superior product and colorimeter. Could be a bug in their software, I'd contact them.

Keep in mind, 6500K is a significant range of possible colors. Two different software products can be asked to provide CCT 6500K and produce very different visual results as explained below (what CCT is). D65 is an exact, defined color target (although, there's only one source of D65; it's 93 million miles from your display).

Anyway, you can alter the CCT value to get an appearance you desire OR if the color appearance really did change since Big Sur, contact DataColor and tell them they likely have a bug.

http://digitaldog.net/files/LinesOfCCT.jpg

ANY color running between e and f above is 6500K.

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

No issues on this end although I'm using a far superior product and colorimeter. Could be a bug in their software, I'd contact them.

Keep in mind, 6500K is a significant range of possible colors. Two different software products can be asked to provide CCT 6500K and produce very different visual results as explained below (what CCT is). D65 is an exact, defined color target (although, there's only one source of D65; it's 93 million miles from your display).

Anyway, you can alter the CCT value to get an appearance you desire OR if the color appearance really did change since Big Sur, contact DataColor and tell them they likely have a bug.

http://digitaldog.net/files/LinesOfCCT.jpg

ANY color running between e and f above is 6500K.

Thanks for your reply. I've been told to do two things by a friend (not sure if what they're saying is accurate though) - use the built-in Mac profile or print a photo and match it with that. Both don't sound right to me.

I can't see the document/light you provided, unfortunately.

What product are you using? I'd be interested to know. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your reply. I've been told to do two things by a friend (not sure if what they're saying is accurate though) - use the built-in Mac profile or print a photo and match it with that. Both don't sound right to me.

Your instincts are correct; ignore the bit about the built-in profile.

Print and calibrate to match? Yes:

Why are my prints too dark (or don’t match my display)?

A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013

In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:

Are your prints really too dark?

Display calibration and WYSIWYG

Proper print viewing conditions

Trouble shooting to get a match

Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4

Low resolution:

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Low resolution:

Great! I will get to watch this and see how my prints turn out. Have sent some off for this task. Thanks for your time.

Low resolution:

Great video and it helped me realise a lot more. Essentially, out the box PC monitors are cooler, so a properly calibrated monitor will appear much warmer. That's probably where I am seeing the difference.

One last thing that baffles me, why is Apple's 6500K much cooler than the one my Spyder offers? In fact, their 5500K is more identical to my finished Spyder 6500K calibration.

One last thing that baffles me, why is Apple's 6500K much cooler than the one my Spyder offers? In fact, their 5500K is more identical to my finished Spyder 6500K calibration.

CTT as shown above for one.And one is actually measured by an instrument.

• Like 1

CTT as shown above for one.And one is actually measured by an instrument.

Gotcha, Spyder does not really allow me to change that spectrum, so, it all lies down to a better monitor and calibration software. I am now seeing a lot of complaints regarding the spyder software so it might be time to get a new piece of kit and quite possibly a new monitor.

Thank you for your time, I have subscribed to your channel. It's an extremely helpful tool and has inspired me to look more into the subject.

I have a couple more questions I hope you don't mind answering? I generally launch images in Adobe 98, but is it better to use Pro photo RGB? I remember a while back I was told not to meddle in it, though I have since seen many using it.

Secondly, is there a way to calibrate my camera to the monitor calibration or is the traditional passport style calibration the best method?

I have a couple more questions I hope you don't mind answering? I generally launch images in Adobe 98, but is it better to use Pro photo RGB? I remember a while back I was told not to meddle in it, though I have since seen many using it.

Printing?

The benefits of wide gamut working spaces on printed output:

This three part, 32 minute video covers why a wide gamut RGB working space like ProPhoto RGB can produce superior quality output to print.

Part 1 discusses how the supplied Gamut Test File was created and shows two prints output to an Epson 3880 using ProPhoto RGB and sRGB, how the deficiencies of sRGB gamut affects final output quality. Part 1 discusses what to look for on your own prints in terms of better color output. It also covers Photoshop’s Assign Profile command and how wide gamut spaces mishandled produce dull or over saturated colors due to user error.

Part 2 goes into detail about how to print two versions of the properly converted Gamut Test File file in Photoshop using Photoshop’s Print command to correctly setup the test files for output. It covers the Convert to Profile command for preparing test files for output to a lab.

Part 3 goes into color theory and illustrates why a wide gamut space produces not only move vibrant and saturated color but detail and color separation compared to a small gamut working space like sRGB.

High Resolution Video: http://digitaldog.net/files/WideGamutPrintVideo.mov

Low Resolution (YouTube):

Secondly, is there a way to calibrate my camera to the monitor calibration or is the traditional passport style calibration the best method?

Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG/DCP camera profiles:

All about In this 30 minute video, we will look into the creation and use of DNG (.dcp) camera profiles in three raw converters. The video covers:

What are DNG camera profiles, how do they differ from ICC camera profiles.

Misconceptions about DNG camera profiles.

Just when, and why do you need to build custom DNG camera profiles?

How to build custom DNG camera profiles using the X-rite Passport software.

The role of various illuminants on camera sensors and DNG camera profiles.

Dual Illuminant DNG camera profiles.

Examples of usage of DNG camera profiles in Lightroom, ACR, and Iridient Developer.

Low Rez (YouTube):

High Rez (download):

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/DNG%20Camera%20profile%20video.mov

• Like 1