big job coming up need help

<p>hi all again, to you this might be a silly question but ive got to get it clear in my head!<br>

im shooting with the canon 50d the lenses im using it canon 70-200 2.8 l IS, TAMRON 17-55 2.B AND CANON 50MM 1.8..............Now im doing a shoot and my client wants a mixture at the end of 10 x 8 prints and various other sizes, but as i know ive shoot some portraits before and when ive gone to make it a 10 x8 i loose alot of the photo! i shoot full size RAW with my camera, so how or what is the best way of getting around this?</p>

<p>Is it a case of leaving enough space around the area of the camera, just enough to crop it, as some of these photos will be a mixture of full legnth portraits, head and shoulders, family groups etc?<br>

Ive just got to get this planted in my already jam packed brain!!!<br>

many thx for your imput.</p>

<p>It isn't that big a problem so I think you'll be fine. You aren't going to lose "a lot" of the photo. Relax. :-)</p>

<p>If you have the luxury, shoot normal and slightly wider versions of the same composition. Otherwise go a little wide on each shot. But really, all you have to do to crop to 8x10 is take a bit off one of the shorter ends.</p>

<p>Geriant,</p>

<p>You hit the nail on the head...you need to leave space to crop 1" off each end of the photo.</p>

<p>Your sensor's normal aspect is very close to 8"x12". Therefore to get an 8"x10" you need to crop a total of 2" off of the original framed image.</p>

<p>If you use photo editing software you can set your aspect ratio manually to 8"x10" or 10"x8" and crop to size before you try to print.</p>

<p>Regards<br>

RS</p>

Your camera has an Image ratio w:h of 3:2. That would be good for 6x4 (3:2) and 12:8 (3:2) inch photos. As stated if you want 10x8 you are going to have to crop two inches off the 12x8. It was the same problem that 35mm film users faced. A 36x24mm film frame is also 3:2 ratio. You have to frame a bit looser to allow for the two inch cropping off of 10x8 photos. If you make 6x4 photos, that loose framing will be reflected on the 6x4 photo but you can always crop a bit down in Photoshop for that. With loose framing, you can remove, but with tight framing you cannot add.
James G. Dainis

<p>It is just one of those things that you have to drill into your head. If you can't get it into your head, you can buy a screen for your viewfinder that shows you where the crop lines are. Being cheap, I drilled it into my head. Post-processing 1,000's of portraits each year helped. </p>

<p>Sit down with a bunch of full length shots you've already shot and start cropping them to the 4x5 ratio. Eventually you'll learn to see the crop in your viewfinder and leave enough "head room" to crop properly. At our studio, we shoot very loose and crop everything (you never know when you'll need to print a 20x24). As an aside, we present all of our proofs in the 4x5 ratio to eliminate that "huh" puzzled stare a lot of customers get when you try to explain aspect ratio. It is easier to tell them that they'll see just a bit more on the top and bottom of their 5x7 rather than try to explain why they lost some on their 8x10.</p>