Best way to set up a very large portable backdrop

bobby_bruderle

<p>Hey Everyone,</p>

<p>This is my first post...been a fan of the site for some time though. Really appreciate all the knowledge put out there!</p>

<p>I need to shoot group portraits (approx 8 people) on white, portable backgrounds. It is for a semi nude charity calendar that I have shot two years previously. <br>

I know from experience that I need at least 18 feet of back drop. My question is, what is the best way to hang multiple rolls of paper background? I have a background kit, but this can only accommodate a 10 foot roll. Is there some standard way to do this, possibly with c-stands? Is there a trick to avoid having seams between rolls?</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the help!</p>

<p>Bobby </p>

<p>Photek Background Support System Including Stands, 12' 4-Section Crossbar, Bag (Mfr #<br />S-4010-4) plus their Add-On 12' Crossbar Kit for Fabric Background System (Mfr # S-4022K) should be ample. If that's too wide you could drop the 12' kit and get the Extension Set for Background Support Systems - Includes: 2 Crossbar Extensions & Stand Mfr # SXT-18 (The extension package includes two 3' extensions plus an additional support stand.) Another option would be the Center Extension Piece for Crossbar Set - 3' (91cm) Mfr # S-4033.</p>

<p>I've used this. It's a 2-person setup and teardown, but it'll handle the width you need and if you take care with the setup and the stand placement, it's reliable.</p>

<p>IMO with paper, seams are unavoidable, even if you lap the edges and tape them. Muslin or canvas would help there, but to get the background taught you'll want a case of A-clamps. The widest muslin B&H sells is 16'. The length is up to 30'.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Hey Henry,</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the suggestion. I spoke with a Key Grip I know earlier today and he gave me what he thinks would be the easiest option.<br>

<br />He said to take two 10' aluminum pipes and connect them using a speed-rail coupler, and then attach the pipe to c-stands using mafers. He also suggested using tie-downs to pull outward on the top of the stands, to reduce bending.<br>

Had I known about it earlier I may have gotten the photek kit, but I already have a background kit. </p>

<p>Thanks so much! </p>