Best Lens And Camera For Red Carpet?

i._h.

<p>I'm new to photography. What is the best lens And camera For red carpet?</p>

<p>I was thinking of getting a 40D or 50D and a 70-200 F 2.8 IS Lens for red carpet. I only have about $1000 to spend.</p>

<p>Is this the best set-up for the money?</p>

<p>Best ehh? $1,000 only? Good luck.</p>

<p>You can't have hyper cheap and "Best". A 70-200 2.8L I.S. is already $1,600. However attach that to ANY EOS DSLR of the last 3 years and you'll get *excellent* images.</p>

<p>And -- if you're savvy enough to know about that nice lens you should already be smart enough to figure out a camera body.</p>

<p>The 20D is a bit past it's prime.</p>

<p>The <a href="../equipment/canon/80-200L">80-200/2.8L is a pretty nice lens</a> but not a real bargain at that price.</p>

<p>The Canon 1 I can't say anything about.</p>

<p>Maybe you can find an affordable 30D? Or a 400D/XTi though that's a rebel body of course...</p>

<p>What do you plan to do with the photos? (i.e. web/newpaper/magazine/etc...) -<br>

The final output will determine the camera and the lens. There is no way out of that one. If you just want some paparazzi quality then, any cheap Canon telephoto will do. I have seen them shoot all over LA with Rebel XTs and 75-300 - at that point IQ is not that important as much as getting the shots of celebs is. So, that's the deal, basically.</p>

<p>Also depends just how close you will be, 200mm might be longer than you really need. If you are wanting full body shots and will be fairly close, something like a 24-70 might be better, especially on a crop body. You should look into renting...$1000 will be tough to cover your purchase needs...as you will also need a flash if it is a night-event.</p>

<p>Interesting, I thought red carpet events were controlled by large photo biz, permits needed to get a position or into a venue and full copyright by these red carpet biz. I`d also imagine your total outlay the cost of their CF cards alone. Most I`ve seen 1d/s 3`s, tho the 5d2 must be a good alternative, Can you guys where you are just decide to do these things, not worryin about competing with the bigger companies already there? :)</p>